Old 06-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Tom Puskar

Default Indoor ponds

I'm new to this group so apologies in advance if this has been discussed.

I have a 300 gallon indoor pond (started off as a winter haven for my
outdoor pond fish) and I'm having a lot of trouble with ammonia levels. The
pond is probably overstocked with goldfish but they all look healthy. I get
ammonia numbers off the chart using a standard test kit.

I can provide construction details including filter type but it would make a
long post. I'll be glad to do it offline.

Anyone else have an indoor pond? Is there a newsgroup somewhere that
focuses on indoor ponds?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

--
Tom Puskar
34 Old Bridge Drive

Old 06-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Hank

Sounds like your bio filter is not large enough or is not working.
Perhaps you have cleaned it recently and destroyed the bacteria. If so
I would treat with Amquel and reseed the filter with some kind of
bio booster. The fastest way is someone else's filter media to jump
start yours.
Also .... Has your water utility recently switched to chloramines?
Disregard if you are in the part of Howell with private wells.

--
My little puddle

http://www.geocities.com/hankpagel/hankspond1.html

et...

Old 07-09-2004, 02:57 PM

there is more to this problem. have reposted my answer from rec. gf
http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/...AVITY%20FILTER
here is a cheap filter I used for indoor tanks for sick koi. kept em inside in the
basement all year. Ingrid

"Tom Puskar" wrote:

I'm new to this group so apologies in advance if this has been discussed.

I have a 300 gallon indoor pond (started off as a winter haven for my
outdoor pond fish) and I'm having a lot of trouble with ammonia levels. The
pond is probably overstocked with goldfish but they all look healthy. I get
ammonia numbers off the chart using a standard test kit.

I can provide construction details including filter type but it would make a
long post. I'll be glad to do it offline.

Anyone else have an indoor pond? Is there a newsgroup somewhere that
focuses on indoor ponds?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
et...
I'm new to this group so apologies in advance if this has been discussed.

I have a 300 gallon indoor pond (started off as a winter haven for my
outdoor pond fish) and I'm having a lot of trouble with ammonia levels.

The
pond is probably overstocked with goldfish but they all look healthy. I

get
ammonia numbers off the chart using a standard test kit.

I can provide construction details including filter type but it would make

long post. I'll be glad to do it offline.

Anyone else have an indoor pond? Is there a newsgroup somewhere that
focuses on indoor ponds?

I plan on a temp one this winter, to try and overwinter some plants. I'll
let you know how it goes. My big concerns are light, and my ankle biters.

BV.

Indoor ponds Tom Puskar Ponds 0 06-09-2004 07:14 PM
My Brother's Ponds. Link to on line photo album of his ponds. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 14 03-07-2004 03:04 AM
Black sealant for indoor ponds NetMax Ponds 5 08-04-2004 03:03 AM
Black sealant for indoor ponds NetMax Ponds 0 06-04-2004 09:25 PM
indoor ponds Wilf & Helen Ponds 0 13-08-2003 04:35 AM