Old 06-04-2004, 09:25 PM
NetMax

Default Black sealant for indoor ponds

I've seen above-ground indoor pond/waterfall constructions made entirely
with natural stones (dressed stones for the pond perimeter and rough
stones for the waterfall). The stones were held together by something
the colour of cement (sand mix perhaps), but the pond interior was coated
in a thick black sealer (some type of tar). Ponds are in the 800 to
1200g range.

Can someone identify or direct me to a source of this sealer.

Is there any additives used with a sand mix to make it more fish-safe or
less porous? I'm already familiar with the leeching requirements with
the fresh limestone in concrete products.

TIA
NetMax

Old 06-04-2004, 09:26 PM
RichToyBox

I can't be sure of what coating they used but there is a neoprene paint for
use in fish ponds that comes in black, white or gray. Being a rubber
material, it would seal any leaks, protect the pond water from the concrete
like a liner, and wouldn't have the seams that some worry about.
AquaticEco.com has the Herco H55. One gallon does a 100 square feet, so it
would be about 1/2 again the price of liner.
--
RichToyBox

.. .

Old 07-04-2004, 06:33 AM
NetMax

Thanks for the excellent info. A little expensive for my tastes
(especially after exchange, & hazmat transport), but it certainly meets
the specs. I also found several complimentary sites on its usage, ie:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~jlr5m/house/pond.html

Also located http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...32&deptid=1033
as an alternate source of neoprene paint (not sure that this meets
specs).

I going to hunt around a bit more for a Canadian supplier more local to
me. Thanks again!

NetMax

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
I can't be sure of what coating they used but there is a neoprene paint

for
use in fish ponds that comes in black, white or gray. Being a rubber
material, it would seal any leaks, protect the pond water from the

concrete
like a liner, and wouldn't have the seams that some worry about.
AquaticEco.com has the Herco H55. One gallon does a 100 square feet,

so it
would be about 1/2 again the price of liner.
--
RichToyBox

.. .

Old 07-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Charles

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:33:10 -0400, "NetMax"
wrote:

I've seen above-ground indoor pond/waterfall constructions made entirely
with natural stones (dressed stones for the pond perimeter and rough
stones for the waterfall). The stones were held together by something
the colour of cement (sand mix perhaps), but the pond interior was coated
in a thick black sealer (some type of tar). Ponds are in the 800 to
1200g range.

Can someone identify or direct me to a source of this sealer.

Is there any additives used with a sand mix to make it more fish-safe or
less porous? I'm already familiar with the leeching requirements with
the fresh limestone in concrete products.

TIA
NetMax

At a water garden where I hang out a bit the owner uses something
called thorough-seal to finish the concrete ponds he builds, then uses
them within a few days. I can probably get some more info if you want
to follow up. It ends with a cement-like (gray) coating, although I
guess you could mix in cement coloring to make it black.

--

- Charles
-

Old 08-04-2004, 03:03 AM
NetMax

wrote:

[...]

I think I've read references to that stuff, so I should be able to track
it down on-line. Thanks.

NetMax