Old 15-09-2004, 09:47 PM
San Diego Joe

Default Tilapia In So Cal??

Under the heading of "Always Looking for Something New":

So I went to a local pond shop today looking for yellow butterfly Koi. They
didn't have any, but did have some African Tilapia, which they said would
over winter here in San Diego. Does anyone happen to have any experience
with these guys?

Hmmmm, maybe I can start a fish farm in the yard!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 15-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Grubber

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
Under the heading of "Always Looking for Something New":

So I went to a local pond shop today looking for yellow butterfly Koi.

They
didn't have any, but did have some African Tilapia, which they said would
over winter here in San Diego. Does anyone happen to have any experience
with these guys?

Hmmmm, maybe I can start a fish farm in the yard!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

I researched aquaponics for awhile and tilapia were the preferred fish
because they were so easy to raise, plus their feed conversion ratio was
excellent. Aquaponics, if you're not familiar, is a cross between
aquaculture and hydroponics. Imagine a veggie filter stocked with basil or
edible lettuce and you get the basic idea. Since you were looking for
something new...

Old 15-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Bonnie

San Diego Joe wrote:
Does anyone happen to have any experience
with these guys?

Hmmmm, maybe I can start a fish farm in the yard!

San Diego Joe

They taste good ;-)
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 15-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Crashj

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:47:38 -0700, San Diego Joe
wrote:
Under the heading of "Always Looking for Something New":
So I went to a local pond shop today looking for yellow butterfly Koi. They
didn't have any, but did have some African Tilapia, which they said would
over winter here in San Diego. Does anyone happen to have any experience
with these guys?

Excelent eating. Hungry little buggers.

--
Crashj

Old 16-09-2004, 12:25 AM
Roy

===wrote:
===Under the heading of "Always Looking for Something New":
===So I went to a local pond shop today looking for yellow butterfly Koi. They
===didn't have any, but did have some African Tilapia, which they said would
===over winter here in San Diego. Does anyone happen to have any experience
===with these guys?
===
===Excelent eating. Hungry little buggers.

From talking to folks here in Alabama they do not over winter too
good in Zone 8, and are marginal in zone 9, but the closer they are to
zone 9/10 they do fine. Don't have a clue as to what zone So Cal is in
but I would think its a lot warmer........
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 16-09-2004, 01:10 AM
San Diego Joe

===wrote:
===Under the heading of "Always Looking for Something New":
===So I went to a local pond shop today looking for yellow butterfly Koi.
They
===didn't have any, but did have some African Tilapia, which they said
would
===over winter here in San Diego. Does anyone happen to have any
experience
===with these guys?
===
===Excelent eating. Hungry little buggers.

From talking to folks here in Alabama they do not over winter too
good in Zone 8, and are marginal in zone 9, but the closer they are to
zone 9/10 they do fine. Don't have a clue as to what zone So Cal is in
but I would think its a lot warmer........
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

We are zone 11, I think (I never use that system, but the Sunset Western
garden zones that divide the west into 24 zones). The guy at the store said
they were from a pond near San Diego. He said they weren't "too" aggressive
which I took to mean they won't take your hand off, but maybe I would need
to worry about the smaller goldfish. Tilapia are a variety of Cichlid, so
their aggressive behavior could be anywhere from benign to piranhaish.

Old 16-09-2004, 01:30 AM
Charles

wrote:

Under the heading of "Always Looking for Something New":

So I went to a local pond shop today looking for yellow butterfly Koi. They
didn't have any, but did have some African Tilapia, which they said would
over winter here in San Diego. Does anyone happen to have any experience
with these guys?

Hmmmm, maybe I can start a fish farm in the yard!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

For aquaculture they use cross species hybrids which are sterile,
otherwise you get lots and lots of little fish, like raising bluegills
or other sunfish.

A friend from Thailand says they build chicken houses over the pond,
feed the chickens and let the droppings fall into the pond. The type
fish he was experimenting can tolerate up to 5ppm ammonia.

--

- Charles
-

Old 16-09-2004, 04:23 AM
George

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
Under the heading of "Always Looking for Something New":

So I went to a local pond shop today looking for yellow butterfly Koi. They
didn't have any, but did have some African Tilapia, which they said would
over winter here in San Diego. Does anyone happen to have any experience
with these guys?

Hmmmm, maybe I can start a fish farm in the yard!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

I raised Tilapia in one of my large aquariums for many years. They are hardy
(if you provide the proper environment, of course - being an east African rift
lake fish, they prefer alkaline water). Mine were so tame that I could feed
them by hand. Having said that, you should check local regulations because some
areas have banned growing Tilapia in outdoor ponds. The reason is that if they
get into the natural environment, they can crowd out native species and
literally take over a stream. My understanding is that they have become a big
problem in parts of Florida.

Old 16-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Derek Broughton

San Diego Joe wrote:

We are zone 11, I think (I never use that system, but the Sunset Western
garden zones that divide the west into 24 zones). The guy at the store
said they were from a pond near San Diego. He said they weren't "too"
aggressive which I took to mean they won't take your hand off, but maybe I
would need to worry about the smaller goldfish. Tilapia are a variety of
Cichlid, so their aggressive behavior could be anywhere from benign to
piranhaish.

I have a friend with a pair of Tilapia - about 6" - in an aquarium with
breeding Brichardii right now, and those Tilapia are pussies :-) They're
scared to death of the Brichardii ( 3").
--
derek

Old 16-09-2004, 07:42 PM
San Diego Joe

"Derek Broughton" wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote:

We are zone 11, I think (I never use that system, but the Sunset Western
garden zones that divide the west into 24 zones). The guy at the store
said they were from a pond near San Diego. He said they weren't "too"
aggressive which I took to mean they won't take your hand off, but maybe I
would need to worry about the smaller goldfish. Tilapia are a variety of
Cichlid, so their aggressive behavior could be anywhere from benign to
piranhaish.

I have a friend with a pair of Tilapia - about 6" - in an aquarium with
breeding Brichardii right now, and those Tilapia are pussies :-) They're
scared to death of the Brichardii ( 3").
--
derek

Thanks Derek, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Maybe they'll eat
the 5,000,000 mosquito fish that inhabit my pond :-)

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Catfish, Crayfish, Shrimp and Tilapia in Europe? JoyofBaking Ponds 0 31-03-2011 01:08 AM
Tilapia [email protected] Ponds 0 06-03-2005 04:36 PM
Tomatoes Zone 9 So. Cal, Los Angeles HPBudlong Edible Gardening 3 15-02-2003 03:03 PM
where can I get a sharwill avocado in So. Cal? PhilKryder Gardening 0 28-01-2003 02:29 AM
N.Cal: County pushes for collective voice on sudden oak death Lion Kuntz alt.forestry 0 24-11-2002 06:02 PM