Old 22-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Tadpoles, Water and Mud in a Rubbermaid

I dismantled a small half built pond in my yard a few weeks back, and as I
drained it, I found hundreds of tadpoles. So we dumped those into a
rubbermaid container, and dismantled the pond. Now I have rubbermaid with
100's of tadpoles, and some other insect life, in a rubbermaid that has
several inches of mud now settled on the bottom. I want to figure a way to
dump these guys into the main pond, but avoid the mud from going in.

Any ideas? I have overflowed the rubbermaid for days, and got some of the
tads out, but after awhile, they all swam to the bottom and avoided the
current.

BV.

Old 22-09-2004, 07:44 PM
San Diego Joe

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

I dismantled a small half built pond in my yard a few weeks back, and as I
drained it, I found hundreds of tadpoles. So we dumped those into a
rubbermaid container, and dismantled the pond. Now I have rubbermaid with
100's of tadpoles, and some other insect life, in a rubbermaid that has
several inches of mud now settled on the bottom. I want to figure a way to
dump these guys into the main pond, but avoid the mud from going in.

Any ideas? I have overflowed the rubbermaid for days, and got some of the
tads out, but after awhile, they all swam to the bottom and avoided the
current.

BV.

How about pouring the whole thing through a sieve or colander? The mud
should go through, and the tads stay in the sieve. You may have to pour
additional water through the sieve to get rid of the mud.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 23-09-2004, 01:31 AM
jammer

I have a net i lay down and pour water critters through

Old 23-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Benign Vanilla

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

[...]

I was worried about hurting the tads doing this. You think they'd be OK?

BV.

Old 23-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote I was worried about hurting the tads doing this. You think they'd be
OK?

Considering their survival rate in the wild these taddies are darned lucky to
get such good care. I think if you go about the process slowly they'll be okay.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 23-09-2004, 05:22 PM
San Diego Joe

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

[...]

Sure, as long as the stream of water wasn't too hard.

Old 23-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Gale Pearce

Every fall I take my Lotus out of the container on the deck and strain the
water through my leaf skimmer net to catch the baby GF so I can put them in
my aquarium - you could do the same and just rinse the mud off before
putting them in your pond - do a few at a time and they will be fine - I've
never had a fatality yet
Gale :~)

I dismantled a small half built pond in my yard a few weeks back, and as I
drained it, I found hundreds of tadpoles. So we dumped those into a
rubbermaid container, and dismantled the pond. Now I have rubbermaid with
100's of tadpoles, and some other insect life, in a rubbermaid that has
several inches of mud now settled on the bottom. I want to figure a way to
dump these guys into the main pond, but avoid the mud from going in.

Any ideas? I have overflowed the rubbermaid for days, and got some of the
tads out, but after awhile, they all swam to the bottom and avoided the
current.

BV.

Gardening in rainy weather and how to dry out the mud Zootal[_3_] Gardening 7 05-02-2008 11:08 PM
Ok, forget hot melt glue and rubbermaid... Gareee© Ponds (moderated) 0 27-05-2007 12:36 AM
Lily Pad and mud Peter Smith Ponds 18 08-06-2006 02:47 PM
Tadpoles, Water and Mud in a Rubbermaid Benign Vanilla Ponds 0 22-09-2004 07:03 PM
Tadpoles, Water and Mud in a Rubbermaid Benign Vanilla Ponds 0 22-09-2004 07:03 PM