Old 07-06-2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.ponds
Peter Smith

Default Lily Pad and mud

I picked up a lily, put it in my 60 gal. pond.
I woke up this morning to find the water all milky. I did a water
change, but the water was a gray milky color again.

Today when I got home from work I took the plant out, washed all the mud
out and left only the round bark and roots.
I took pea gravel, put the plant in a terra cotta flower pot, then put
it back in.
Do lily's have soil?
If so.
What kind of soil?
How deep?

Old 07-06-2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.ponds
Peter Smith

Oh ya, I did a water change again.
All clear now : )

Old 07-06-2006, 05:29 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Lily Pad and mud - soil

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
I picked up a lily, put it in my 60 gal. pond.
I woke up this morning to find the water all milky. I did a water
change, but the water was a gray milky color again.

Today when I got home from work I took the plant out, washed all the mud
out and left only the round bark and roots.
I took pea gravel, put the plant in a terra cotta flower pot, then put
it back in.
Do lily's have soil?
If so.
What kind of soil?
How deep?

============================
For myself they do best in a rich garden clay type soil with a Jobe's Rose
Spike broken into thirds and inserted around the pot. The leaves are large,
numerous and there are many flowers over the summer. The soil is covered
with gravel to keep the the soil from easily escaping the pots.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:01 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
I picked up a lily, put it in my 60 gal. pond.
I woke up this morning to find the water all milky. I did a water
change, but the water was a gray milky color again.

Today when I got home from work I took the plant out, washed all the mud
out and left only the round bark and roots.
I took pea gravel, put the plant in a terra cotta flower pot, then put
it back in.
Do lily's have soil?
If so.
What kind of soil?
How deep?

Plants I buy from a local pond store are
potted in soil. I get the gray milky color but
it settles in time. A 60 gal pond is very small
and might take a bit longer to settle.

If you're really concerned, you might call
or revisit your supplier and ask what the lily
was planted in.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA

Old 07-06-2006, 01:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Probably was planted in ikitty litter or bentonite (sodium )
clay...........that woul dmake it thecolor you state, and its a common
medium for companies to use it to plant aquatic plants in.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Lily Pad and mud - lily growth

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Hal" wrote in message
I found it more difficult to fertilize the pebbles media, but some
have ponds that apparently don't need fertilizer added to make good
lily growth, or perhaps the see things differently from me.

Derek has water that grows lilies without soil or fertilizer. I have no
such luck and have to plant mine in soil and fertilize them if I want decent
growth an any flowers at all.

I wish
you well, and I would suggest a long lasting fertilizer like
Aquatic-Spikes once a year fertilizer (Time Released) fertilizer since
my experience with regular fertilizers like Job's tomato stakes didn't
seem to last well.

In soil they last all summer.

They dissolve into the water and leach out of the
stones much quicker than they would out of garden soil or clay media.

Regards,

Hal

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Koi-Lo, **** Whore Swallows Load Of Steamy **** Down

Koi-Lo

Thankless fast-girl with generous camel hoof and emasculated mogambos
wants to meet inferior handy andy for atrocious bit of ****. Mail me
at Reply to NG Only

Old 07-06-2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Who cares about your
Neibors" pnd carol you certianly do not have one now do yu, no matter
whose pics yu put up and proclaim to be yours, you simply do not have
a pond..........nor the common sense requred to keep a pnd or aquatic
plants. Its what you find on the web and claim as yours..........

Once a liar always a liar,

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:06:43 -0500, "Koi-Lo" Reply to NG Only wrote:
*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

m...

Old 07-06-2006, 09:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Peter Smith

Thank's to all
2 questions that were not answered.
1. Do they have to have soil?
2. How deep or how far do they have to be from the water line?

Old 07-06-2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Lily Pad and mud - Soil and depth

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
Thank's to all
2 questions that were not answered.
1. Do they have to have soil?
2. How deep or how far do they have to be from the water line?

==================================
Soil: In my opinion and in my ponds and water conditions - yes.
Depth: I try at have at least 18" of water over the rim of their pots.
About 12" for the mini lilies.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lákáwáná

Koi-Lo

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

And your research is based on what?

.

Two Wongs Don't Make a White.

"Peter Smith" wrote in message

I told your boss about you.

bay.

I don't need your help, thanks. [Sarcastically]

webtv.net..

I work all night, and when your children skate on the sidewalk at 3:30
in the afternoon, it wakes me up.

HELP! My brain has fallen out!

Is that your last Will and Testament, Koi-Lo?

Soil: In my opinion and in my ponds and water conditions - yes.

Yes?

Depth: I try at have at least 18" of water over the rim of their pots.

How many times have you tried at have at least 18" of water over the rim
of their pots?

About 12" for the mini lilies.

For someone your age? Come on, you're a piker.

--
LW..........
Wise men stare at the unknown, and boldly asks, WHY?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

You mean in your neighbors ponds don't you? YU do not have ponds and
you steal anduse others pics and say they are yur ponds and
tanks..your a liar and always will be a liar......

Old 08-06-2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

"Koi-Lo" aka wrote in message

Who cares about your
Neibors" pnd roy you certianly do not have one now do yu, no matter
whose pics yu put up and proclaim to be yours, you simply do not have
a pond..........nor the common sense requred to keep a pnd or aquatic
plants. Its what you find on the web and claim as yours..........

Once a liar always a liar,

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:06:43 -0500, "Koi-Lo" Reply to NG Only wrote:
*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

m...

Old 08-06-2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

"Koi-Lo" aka wrote in message

You mean in your neighbors ponds don't you? YU do not have ponds and
you steal anduse others pics and say they are yur ponds and
tanks..your a liar and always will be a liar......

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:35:24 -0500, "Koi-Lo" Reply to NG Only wrote:
*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
Thank's to all
2 questions that were not answered.
1. Do they have to have soil?
2. How deep or how far do they have to be from the water line?
Soil: In my opinion and in my ponds and water conditions - yes.
Depth: I try at have at least 18" of water over the rim of their

pots.
About 12" for the mini lilies.

Longevity of plant propogation pad (ie, heating pad)? gonzo Edible Gardening 0 13-03-2008 11:55 AM
little planting pad and amaryllis J. Davidson Gardening 2 23-01-2008 05:04 AM
First lily pad ... zookeeper Ponds 6 19-03-2005 07:32 PM
Tadpoles, Water and Mud in a Rubbermaid Benign Vanilla Ponds 10 23-09-2004 06:57 PM
Lily Pad life Heather Ponds 1 18-06-2003 02:20 PM