Old 27-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Biker2 \(Threadstopper\)

"Amanda" wrote in message
om...
Hi , my first post here , just a quick question.

I have 2 sterlets in my pond , which are fine and healthy(apart from
one which insists on dragging half the pond round with his tail) , as
i have only had them for 6 month i have no idea how to treat them over
the winter months , pond shop people say treat them the same as rest
of my fish , does anyone own sterlets?...any advice would be
appreciated.

Many thanks

Amanda

This weekend, one of my two 18 inch diamond sturgeons is going to cost us
nearly 1,000 UKP ! Why, because he thinks he is Flipper and tail-walks...

Twice we have just stopped him disappearing over the pond wall, so now we
have to raise the sides with another row of fancy bricks.

He insists on being hand fed prawns, worms and pieces of raw fish. He seems
to ignore the genuine sturgeon food which of course the seventeen koi just
love...

For more information on sturgeons I would suggest you look at
www.sturgeon-web.co.uk/ which is owned by a guy called Graham.

Steve - UK
--
Milk floats, stainless steel sinks...

Old 28-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Chris

In article , "Biker2
\(Threadstopper\)" steve at pvl dot co dot uk says...

"Amanda" wrote in message
[...]

I cannot keep them in my pond for more than about a week before the local
cats fish them out and carry them away.
I have only ever lost one goldfish & no koi to them. The Sterlets go so
quickly because they stick their noses out of the water when "grazing" at
the pond's brick edges. The local cat's can't resist this & grab them.
I have rescued them a couple of times but they always go eventually.
They also have a tendency to swim up any pipework you have. If you can't
find them (and the cats haven't got them) they are probably in your
filter!

Nice fish though.
Pip pip

--
Chris Notton
Replace "nospam" with my surname to reply by email
Old 03-10-2004, 04:22 AM
Moontanman

In NA "sterlet" gets used in the aquarium trade, because they know they'll
never sell "sturgeon" to people who know they get to be 6 ft.

Sterlets only get to be 48 inches maximum in the wild, about 24 inches in
captivity.

Moon
I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups

Old 04-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Moontanman wrote:

In NA "sterlet" gets used in the aquarium trade, because they know they'll
never sell "sturgeon" to people who know they get to be 6 ft.

Sterlets only get to be 48 inches maximum in the wild, about 24 inches in
captivity.

I really don't know what the "sturgeon/sterlets" sold in our aquarium stores
will get to - but the wild sturgeon can definitely get in excess of 6', so
they use the name "sterlet" in the stores regardless of what the common
name is here, just so that you don't think they'll get that size. Even two
feet is usually way too large for an aquarium.
--
derek