Old 25-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Amanda

Default Sterlets

Hi , my first post here , just a quick question.

I have 2 sterlets in my pond , which are fine and healthy(apart from
one which insists on dragging half the pond round with his tail) , as
i have only had them for 6 month i have no idea how to treat them over
the winter months , pond shop people say treat them the same as rest
of my fish , does anyone own sterlets?...any advice would be
appreciated.

Many thanks

Amanda
Old 25-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Nedra

I have no idea, Amanda ... but it would be helpful if you were to post where
you are - geographically speaking.

Nedra
om...

Old 25-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Lostin1999

"Amanda" wrote in message
om...
Hi , my first post here , just a quick question.

I have 2 sterlets in my pond , which are fine and healthy(apart from
one which insists on dragging half the pond round with his tail) , as
i have only had them for 6 month i have no idea how to treat them over
the winter months , pond shop people say treat them the same as rest
of my fish , does anyone own sterlets?...any advice would be
appreciated.

Many thanks

Amanda

I have sterlets/sturgeon in my pond, (long nosed) and they tend to stay
deep, im concerned about the one dragging stuff?? do you have bad blanket
weed, as sterlets can get caught up in it and "drown".

fantastic fish, mine have been kept in a raised bath for 4 years (and are
now in a pond half raised and half sunk) and coped well..

I feed a few sinking pellets once a week in winter (never sure if they get
down to the sterlets tho..)

HTH

Lost

Old 26-09-2004, 03:57 AM
Crashj

"Nedra" wrote in message link.net...
I have no idea, Amanda ... but it would be helpful if you were to post where
you are - geographically speaking.

Nedra
"Amanda" wrote in message
om...
Hi , my first post here , just a quick question.

I have 2 sterlets in my pond
pond shop people say

"Shop people" and "sterlets" are English.
--
Crashj
Old 26-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Derek Broughton

Crashj wrote:

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
I have no idea, Amanda ... but it would be helpful if you were to post
where you are - geographically speaking.

Nedra
"Amanda" wrote in message
om...
Hi , my first post here , just a quick question.

I have 2 sterlets in my pond
pond shop people say

"Shop people" and "sterlets" are English.

In NA "sterlet" gets used in the aquarium trade, because they know they'll
never sell "sturgeon" to people who know they get to be 6 ft.
--
derek

Old 26-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Amanda" wrote in message
om...
Hi , my first post here , just a quick question.

I have 2 sterlets in my pond , which are fine and healthy(apart from
one which insists on dragging half the pond round with his tail) , as
i have only had them for 6 month i have no idea how to treat them over
the winter months , pond shop people say treat them the same as rest
of my fish , does anyone own sterlets?...any advice would be
appreciated.

Amanda,

I just started adding some information on Sterlets to iheartmypond.com. I
think we have a massize one site list on them, right now. LOL. Check it out,
it may help.

http://www.iheartmypond.com/Animals/...on/default.asp

BV.

Old 26-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Amanda

"Lostin1999" wrote in message ...
"Amanda" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks for the reply , one dragging stuff is a problem , constantly
checking on him , yet other one is great , not a problem , no idea why
one is and one isn't , dont have huge blanket weed prob. , just even
if theres one bit , he will find it and drag it round , thanks for
advice.

Amanda.

Old 26-09-2004, 07:15 PM
2pods

"Amanda" wrote in message
om...
"Lostin1999" wrote in message
"Amanda" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Saw a really nice one today at the local garden centre.
They have a huge new pond with a massive waterfall, and it was good to see
this 3' Sterlet who was usually in a 6' metal tank swimming freely.

There also had some really nice koi.

Peter