Old 29-09-2004, 12:45 AM
cn

Default green water?

i just dug a pond and put the fish in a while, but for some reason teh
water is turning green.
Old 29-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Ka30P

CN wrote i just dug a pond and put the fish in a while, but for some reason
teh water is turning green.

Water turns green because algae is growing in it.
The algae is made up of individual small cells. Millions of them and they turn
the water green.
To get rid of algae you should put lots of pond plants in your pond, do not add
too many fish and don't feed the fish too much.
It will take a long time to clear, probably about a month's time unless your
weather cools off fairly quickly.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 29-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Oxymel of Squill

a newly dug pond is a device for killing fish. Leave it a year to settle and
sort out its own chemistry before introducing fish

m...

Old 29-09-2004, 01:32 PM
2pods

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
a newly dug pond is a device for killing fish. Leave it a year to settle
and
sort out its own chemistry before introducing fish

A year ?
You're kidding, right ?

Maybe this won't work for everyone, but in my case I let it sit for a couple
of days, added the plants and filter.
Let it sit for a week then put a few fish in.
Then I started testing the water quality.
Added some more fish after a couple of weeks (add plants whenever you want).

By this time the water had cleared.
Tested water
After 6 weeks switched on UV to keep it clear, and that was it functioning
pond.

Peter

Old 29-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Oxymel of Squill

no, soo you'll be testing and shoving in chemicals to lower the ph and then
to raise it again

a pond (at least) needs a year's cycle to sort out its own chemical balance

Old 29-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Crashj

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message ...
a newly dug pond is a device for killing fish.
Leave it a year to settle and sort out its own chemistry

"cn" wrote in message
m...
i just dug a pond and put the fish in a while, but for some reason teh
water is turning green.

A year? Fish killing device?? That seems excessive. Even for the far
side of the pond. Plus, how is a pond going to stabilize without any
fish?
CN has been pointed in the correct direction for cycling the pond.
Lighten up.
--
Crashj
Old 29-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Roy

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:09:37 +0100, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

===no, soo you'll be testing and shoving in chemicals to lower the ph and then
===to raise it again
===
===a pond (at least) needs a year's cycle to sort out its own chemical balance
===
===
==="2pods" wrote in message
===
=== "Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
=== ...
[...]

When I dug my natural pond 1 acre out, it was filling in almost as
fast with water as each bucket full of dirt that was removed. The
water table was extremely high. The day we finished digging it, it
was totally full the next day all from ground water infiltration, and
later the next day in the afternoon I was stocking it with
fish.........which I now regret as I am now trying to rid the pond of
all those fish, so I can have just Koi and GF in it.

I was told to let even the wifes half barrel alone for months so it
would stailize........I had it planted and fish in it within a week or
so and they all are doing fine. Maybe if I as buying the expensive KOI
I may be a bit more concerned, but a year or even months is kind of
absured, to me anyhow.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 29-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Derek Broughton

Oxymel of Squill wrote:

no, soo you'll be testing and shoving in chemicals to lower the ph and
then to raise it again

He definitely didn't say that. I wouldn't leave it more than a couple of
days before adding plants. Fish, _maybe_ a few weeks. Then you start
testing the water quality. Once the whole nitrogren cycle gets stabilized,
you can add more fish. There's no need to mess with chemicals, but you
don't want to add so many fish at once that they all die in an ammonia or
nitrite spike.

a pond (at least) needs a year's cycle to sort out its own chemical
balance

A backyard pond, as such, will _never_ properly balance. It's too small to
be a full ecosystem, but it'll be as close as it's likely to get much
sooner than a year. And I guarantee you that as soon as you add the first
fish, you're starting over in the balancing game.

After 6 weeks switched on UV to keep it clear, and that was it
functioning pond.

To each his own. I don't like artificially clear ponds, but if it works for
you :-)
--
derek

Old 29-09-2004, 04:26 PM
2pods

No chemicals in this pond.
ph is fine.

If no fish or plants, how can you avoid a algae bloom and green water ?

So a year later, in go the fish and the pond chemistry changes completely ?

Old 29-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
a newly dug pond is a device for killing fish. Leave it a year to settle

and
sort out its own chemistry before introducing fish

snip

While I would not toss fish straight into a new pond, waiting a year is
IMHO, overkill. Once your pond is filled and the water is being circulated
through a proper filter, your water will be safe for fish within days to
weeks. A water test kit at this point is critical.

BV.

Old 29-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
snip
A backyard pond, as such, will _never_ properly balance. It's too small

be a full ecosystem, but it'll be as close as it's likely to get much
sooner than a year. And I guarantee you that as soon as you add the first
fish, you're starting over in the balancing game.

snip

I disagree with this as well. I use only a vegetable filter system. It is
oversized to the pond it is servicing, so I have struck a balance quickly,
and easily. I suffer from extended algae blooms in the spring because it
takes time for the veggy filter to catch up, but aside from that all water
params are perfect. I add nothing to adjust anything, except for dechlor
when I add new water.

My fish spawn every year. We have numerous frog species, toads, turtle,
snakes, etc.
BV.

Old 29-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Snooze

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
a newly dug pond is a device for killing fish. Leave it a year to settle

and
sort out its own chemistry before introducing fish

Who has the patience to wait a year? What kind of pond chemistry do you
expect to settle in a year? Algae and bacteria colonies will have
established themselves in a few weeks if not less.

Even if the pH levels settle after a year of exposure to acid rain and
various salts leaching in from the ground, is it really worth it? Will the
pH level be acceptable, or will you need to fiddle with it anyways? A year
is a long time to wait for such minimal gains.

Snooze