Old 30-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Roy

Default Slowly getting the game fish removed

Have had folks fishing the pond pretty hard, and while I also have
been fishing it, its a slow method. Lately I have been baiting the
fish with a scoop of feed tossed out, and then once they (bream and
catfish) start to school to feed, I have been using a 10 foot cast net
to catch them. Tried a seine net, but the pond is too irregular in
depths and size for me to seine. I also improvised and made a gill net
out of netting used for tops of poulty pens (similar to the netting
used to keep leaves out of ponds etc) and while it does work, its a
lot of work picking out the stuck fish whn you haul the net in.
Besides the size netting I have in use allows for lots of fish larger
and smaller than the mesh opening to escape, so there is still a large
population of fish that will not be caught.....I have a few floating
fish traps setout also...........But my main goal is to eliminate as
much as possible of the game fish, as I know eliminating all is
virtually impossible, unless I drain pond, and that concept is not an
option at this point as I don;t have anyplace to put the fish in my
enclosure during that timeframe. Same thing with using
rotenone......so that option is not feasible either.

Anyone have any suggestions on more methods to eliminate these fish?
Bass, bream and catfish.........I can live with the minnows, just need
to get rid of the game species.......Its a private built pond so it
does not come under the rules of game laws etc in regards to fish
harvest, so most anything will be considered.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Please Help my fish are dying slowly carol Ponds 3 05-09-2005 02:54 PM
Please Help my fish are dying slowly carol Ponds 3 04-09-2005 06:57 PM
Fish slowly dying John Ponds (alternative) 4 25-06-2003 03:56 PM
Fish Dying slowly John Ponds 1 17-06-2003 10:56 PM
How do I remove new shoots from a removed tree? Robin Henderson Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:36 AM