Old 01-09-2005, 01:45 PM
carol

Default Please Help my fish are dying slowly

Hi, I am desperate I have a 50 gal preformed pond. My fish have been
fine health just fanncy goldfish up to 6 inches in length. Last week I
had a 5 inch one floating in the AM no trauma to him eyes clear no
gills and fins perfect. Yesterday again this morig again. I had the
water tested Ph a little high but we have had some rain everything else
fine. I added some plants a few weeks ago from a friends health pond.
NO they fish are near the type slugish kinda of gulping for air. These
fish are over 1 year old. I live in NY any sugestions, I was going to
get them out but not sure where trying to get a aquarium. If fish are
sick don't they look sick? Please PLease help...I don't even know where
I am going to get water from to put them in.

Carol

Old 01-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Roy

On 1 Sep 2005 05:45:59 -0700, "carol" wrote:

===Hi, I am desperate I have a 50 gal preformed pond. My fish have been
===fine health just fanncy goldfish up to 6 inches in length. Last week I
===had a 5 inch one floating in the AM no trauma to him eyes clear no
===gills and fins perfect. Yesterday again this morig again. I had the
===water tested Ph a little high but we have had some rain everything else
===fine. I added some plants a few weeks ago from a friends health pond.
===NO they fish are near the type slugish kinda of gulping for air. These
===fish are over 1 year old. I live in NY any sugestions, I was going to
===get them out but not sure where trying to get a aquarium. If fish are
===sick don't they look sick? Please PLease help...I don't even know where
===I am going to get water from to put them in.
===
===Carol

What George says! And get some aeration going...do a water
change.....and odds are things will improve almost imediately. Rain
water really does not provide a good oxygen sufficient water, and in
some cases it can be just as bad as no aeration at all.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 02-09-2005, 06:19 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 1 Sep 2005 05:45:59 -0700, "carol" wrote:

Hi, I am desperate I have a 50 gal preformed pond. My fish have been
fine health just fanncy goldfish up to 6 inches in length. Last week I
had a 5 inch one floating in the AM no trauma to him eyes clear no
gills and fins perfect. Yesterday again this morig again. I had the
water tested Ph a little high but we have had some rain everything else
fine. I added some plants a few weeks ago from a friends health pond.
NO they fish are near the type slugish kinda of gulping for air. These
fish are over 1 year old. I live in NY any sugestions, I was going to
get them out but not sure where trying to get a aquarium. If fish are
sick don't they look sick? Please PLease help...I don't even know where
I am going to get water from to put them in.

Carol

Sick Fish or Sick Pond Form

Please describe your problem, including fish characteristics, like;
whirling, flashing, gasping at surface, wounds, etc.:

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons):

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?: =

Time in Operation?
(How old is the pond/water?):

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?
Venturies?:

Water Temp?

pH?:

KH?:

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Medications used?:

What Zone or Country of residence?:

~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 04-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
Hi, I am desperate I have a 50 gal preformed pond. My fish have been
fine health just fanncy goldfish up to 6 inches in length. Last week I
had a 5 inch one floating in the AM no trauma to him eyes clear no
gills and fins perfect. Yesterday again this morig again. I had the
water tested Ph a little high but we have had some rain everything else
fine. I added some plants a few weeks ago from a friends health pond.
NO they fish are near the type slugish kinda of gulping for air. These
fish are over 1 year old. I live in NY any sugestions, I was going to
get them out but not sure where trying to get a aquarium. If fish are
sick don't they look sick? Please PLease help...I don't even know where
I am going to get water from to put them in.

Carol
Hi Carol

If all your fish look healthy i.e clear eyes, raised dorsal, flat scales etc, then your problem is not enough oxygen. If you do not have a pump that moves and oxyginates the water you must get one in order to keep your fish comfortable. Your pond is quite small so you do need a a good quality pump.

I hope all goes well.

sandie