Old 08-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Lydia

Default de-icers

Any opinions on de-icers? Which ones are good ones? Features that are must
haves? I see the Thermo-Pond De-Icer a lot
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...N=62728+113087 .
Anyone have that one and a review of it?

Thanks much,
Lydia

Old 08-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Mosfunland

Yeah I had one......it froze into the pond....and was covered by the
snow.....I'll retry a bubbler this year with a much larger aquarium
pump....flexible tubing split that year and the temps were so cold everything
froze over....the bubbler had been doing its job....that stupid plastic thing
was just that....a waste of money.

Maureen in Phila.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:46 AM
George

"Lydia" wrote in message
Any opinions on de-icers? Which ones are good ones? Features that are must
haves? I see the Thermo-Pond De-Icer a lot
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...N=62728+113087 .
Anyone have that one and a review of it?

Thanks much,
Lydia

It depends on the zone in which you live, the pond size, and the wattage of the
de-icer. The one advertized at the link you provided as only 100 watts, which
won't do much good for most average sized ponds. I used the one at the link
below last winter, and it worked fine. Although the ad says it is for 50-600
gallon ponds, my pond is 1400 gallons. This one is 1,250 watts, which is over
ten times more wattage than the one you are interested in:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p... pt%5Fid=12130

There are others available as well:

http://www.macarthurwatergardens.com...rs/deicers.htm

http://www.pondsolutions.com/pond-heaters.htm

Old 10-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Iguana

Mosfunland wrote:
Yeah I had one......it froze into the pond....and was covered by the
snow.....I'll retry a bubbler this year with a much larger aquarium
pump....flexible tubing split that year and the temps were so cold
everything froze over....the bubbler had been doing its job....that
stupid plastic thing was just that....a waste of money.

Maureen in Phila.

Same here, it froze into the pond, then got covered with snow. I live in
Toronto, our winters are not that bad.

Now I use a 1250 watt model, doesn't seem to actually affect the electricity
bill any more than the 100 watt one(I think the diff is the 100w is always
on, whereas the 1250w is only on for spurts), and the 1250w does a great
job.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Lydia

"George" wrote in message
It depends on the zone in which you live, the pond size, and the wattage
of the de-icer. The one advertized at the link you provided as only 100
watts, which won't do much good for most average sized ponds. I used the
one at the link below last winter, and it worked fine. Although the ad
says it is for 50-600 gallon ponds, my pond is 1400 gallons. This one is
1,250 watts, which is over ten times more wattage than the one you are
interested in:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p... pt%5Fid=12130

There are others available as well:

http://www.macarthurwatergardens.com...rs/deicers.htm

http://www.pondsolutions.com/pond-heaters.htm

Thanks all for the replies and the links. My pond is about 400 gallons so
not too big and I'm in zone 7. We had ice over the pond last year for about
a month, but didn't have anything in it yet so I didn't need anything. Now
we have one goldfish that *was* a little inch long, $.07 feeder fish from
the pet store. It's about 5 inches long now and while my original intent
was to let everything go natural and if he makes it great, if not I won't
get anymore fish, I do feel sorry for the thing. So while it'll be spending
the winter in the pond, I'd at least like to give it a chance to breathe .

Lydia

Old 17-10-2004, 12:45 AM
Olde Hippee

"Lydia" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
[...]

.

Lydia

lydia, I'm in DE, zone 7 also. We just use an aquarium air pump and
weight the end down with a fishing weight and blow air thru it all winter.
We have friends who have a marina, and I figured if an air bubler system
could protect those expensive boats, it would probably work here too.
Then I found out that's one of the ways everyone did it.

nanzi