Old 19-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Derek Broughton

Crashj wrote:

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Crash observed
MIgawd, it's dejavu allover again.

Okay, I'm slow today, my brain is addled as the band is practicing for
the *fourth*straight*day* but I don't get it...

The system of mounting and shielding the air pump is exactly what I
came up with independantly. Screw it to the post with the electric box
on it and put a bucket over the top of the post to keep off the rain
and snow. I even left the post extra tall on purpose to do this.
"It's like we're twins"

"MIgawd, it's dejavu allover again"! OK, not really. I used the bucket but
it never occurred to me strap the pump to the post. I'm the really slow
twin...
--
derek

Old 19-10-2004, 07:51 PM

yup,yup, yup, yup. I had a swee****er with 3/4 inch pvc and it iced shut when the
pump was in the house. now the pump is in the 45oF garage and it doesnt ice up.
Ingrid

"Gale Pearce" wrote:
Hi Bill - There are 2 possible problems with locating the pump inside your
basement - condensation and distance - the air in your basement will be
warmer than the outside air and will probably cause condensation in the
airline to collect and freeze up

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 19-10-2004, 11:09 PM
bill

Hmmmm ...i only have to run a line about 6 feet from the window in our
basement . it will ice up i'm sure, maybe heat tape could solve that prob
when needed ? This sound like all this could be a pain. We dont have any
fish ... the frogs loved them.
bill

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
Hi Bill - There are 2 possible problems with locating the pump inside your
basement - condensation and distance - the air in your basement will be
warmer than the outside air and will probably cause condensation in the
airline to collect and freeze up (I put my airpump in a small rubbermaid
container and locate it on top of my 45 gal bio filter and run the line

( ~
15') at a constant down slope to the airstone 3" below the water surface

so
no condensation can accumulate - others here have had freeze ups from

loops
or low spots in the airline ) - The longer the distance you pump whether
air or water, the less you get at discharge, although you could compensate
for that with the size of the pump and line
Gale :~)
"bill" wrote in message
hi,
im new here and have read quite a bit about ice on the pond and

wondered
if
an air pump located in our basement could force enough air thru a tube

keep our pond free of ice with a hole large enough to allow gasses to
escape? it gets pretty cold up here 0 to 20 below
bill