Old 25-04-2005, 09:13 PM
SkyCatcher

Default Air pump to pump at depth

Hi,

I want to have a vigorous "air cuirtain" at a depth of approx 1.5 metres in
an aquarium. Can anyone recommend an air pump that can deliver this? I have
tried a copuple but at depth they give out a pitiful amount of bubbles!

I have posted to rec.ponds as I suspect I might need something designed for
KOI ponds to deliver what I'm after,

tia.

Sky

Old 25-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Elaine T

SkyCatcher wrote:
Hi,

I want to have a vigorous "air cuirtain" at a depth of approx 1.5 metres in
an aquarium. Can anyone recommend an air pump that can deliver this? I have
tried a copuple but at depth they give out a pitiful amount of bubbles!

I have posted to rec.ponds as I suspect I might need something designed for
KOI ponds to deliver what I'm after,

tia.

Sky

Actually, the sal****er aquarium NGs would have been fine. Wooden
protein skimmer airstones give a tremendous amount of back pressure in
typically 2-3' tall skimmers so anything that can run a big skimmer is
also suitable for your application.

Try a TetraTec Deep Water series, or a Coralife Luft pump (used to be
the Tetra Luft pump). Schego pumps are also highly regarded by the reef
crowd but seem to be mostly for sale in the UK. I have used a TetraTec
pump and got very good results on the skimmer I was running without too
much noise.

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/h111_t...c_air_pump.htm gives a chart
of airstones the TetraTek will run at depth. The Luft pump comes in one
large size with a rheostat.

HTH
--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 25-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Charles

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:13:52 +0100, "SkyCatcher"
wrote:

Hi,

I want to have a vigorous "air cuirtain" at a depth of approx 1.5 metres in
an aquarium. Can anyone recommend an air pump that can deliver this? I have
tried a copuple but at depth they give out a pitiful amount of bubbles!

I have posted to rec.ponds as I suspect I might need something designed for
KOI ponds to deliver what I'm after,

tia.

Sky

TetraTec Deep Water Pumps and Rena Air Pumps, both rated to 96 inches.

Dynamaster Deep Water Air Pump, rated to 10 ft.

In the US, listed at petsolutions.com. No idea about UK vendors.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Old 25-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Elaine T

Elaine T wrote:
SkyCatcher wrote:

[...]

Duh. uk.rec.aquaria.misc. I don't suppose you'll have any trouble at
all finding a Schego pump. That might be your best bet. *thwaps
US-centric self*

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 26-04-2005, 03:46 AM
Crashj

On or about Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:32:03 GMT, Elaine T
wrote something like:

Elaine T wrote:
SkyCatcher wrote:

Hi,

I want to have a vigorous "air cuirtain" at a depth of approx 1.5
metres in an aquarium.

I have posted to rec.ponds as I suspect I might need something
designed for KOI ponds to deliver what I'm after,

Actually, the sal****er aquarium NGs would have been fine.

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/h111_t...c_air_pump.htm gives a chart
of airstones the TetraTek will run at depth. The Luft pump comes in one
large size with a rheostat.

HTH

Duh. uk.rec.aquaria.misc. I don't suppose you'll have any trouble at
all finding a Schego pump. That might be your best bet. *thwaps
US-centric self*

Hehehehehehe. TWIAVBP.
The world is a very big place. ;-)
--
Crashj

Old 27-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Elaine T

SkyCatcher wrote:
Folks,

Thanks for the suggestions but....I can't find any UK suppliers (or European
for that matter) for any of the makes you suggest. Can anyone give me a
lead??

Thanks,

Sky.
"SkyCatcher" wrote in message

Hi,

I want to have a vigorous "air cuirtain" at a depth of approx 1.5 metres
in an aquarium. Can anyone recommend an air pump that can deliver this? I
have tried a copuple but at depth they give out a pitiful amount of
bubbles!

I have posted to rec.ponds as I suspect I might need something designed
for KOI ponds to deliver what I'm after,

tia.

Sky

http://www.pets24.co.uk/t-1-1-06-030-03270--.htm

You want the Schego WS2 (2m depth) or WS3(3m depth) professional models.
They're the ones designed for deep water or skimmer applications
according to the Schego website.

All the other sites I see are German, so I hope this one works.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 27-04-2005, 09:06 AM
SkyCatcher

OK, Thanks to Elaine I now have ordered my pump - who can recommend a lond
airstone 30 - 45 cm to produce a line of small bubbles (fizz?).

Old 27-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Elaine T

SkyCatcher wrote:
OK, Thanks to Elaine I now have ordered my pump - who can recommend a lond
airstone 30 - 45 cm to produce a line of small bubbles (fizz?).

Google is treating me well again (it's kind of a fun challenge - like a
treasure hunt!). Here's a UK mail order site that has the air curtains
so you can see what I'm talking about.
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/lis...etp=322&rets=8

Aqua Fizzzz gives bubbles like a standard airstone. I used to have a 6"
one in one of my tanks. Hagen air curtains give somewhat finer bubbles
in a nice wall. I wouldn't call it fizz, though. Ceramic airstones
produce very fine bubbles more towards a fizz, and wooden skimmer
airstones really fizz - until they get clogged with algae and stop
working at all.

I've not seen the Interpet or Algarde ones in action since those brands
are rarer in the US.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 27-04-2005, 10:07 PM
SkyCatcher

Hi,

Thanks again.....do you have any experience of the penn plax bubble walls? I
use aquatics-online a lot and they are very good... what I need is something
that will last a long time without clogging - how lond did your aqua-fizz
work for?

Sky.
http://www.all4fish.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh...%23a 848#a848

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...

Old 28-04-2005, 07:34 AM
Elaine T

SkyCatcher wrote:
Hi,

Thanks again.....do you have any experience of the penn plax bubble walls? I
use aquatics-online a lot and they are very good... what I need is something
that will last a long time without clogging - how lond did your aqua-fizz
work for?

Sky.
http://www.all4fish.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh...%23a 848#a848

Aqua Fizz are standard sand airstones. You can soak them in vinegar
when they start to clog to get the deposits out, and they gradually
crumble. I think mine went for about 3 years with periodic soakings
before it crumbled enough that I replaced it. My water was quite hard,
and I had to soak any airstone at least every 6 months to keep back
pressure off of the pump.

I'm wondering if my friend's bubble wall was Penn Plax now that I've
seen that picture. It was straight with a connector, not flexible. She
had two hooked together along 2 walls of her hex tank so the background
was a curtain of bubbles. Very pretty effect.

I wonder if the finely perforated tubing might be lower maintenance?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__