Old 19-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Claudia

Default Pump Needed

In a lack of forward thinking I have placed my hot tub behind the pond on my
patio and therefore have no way to drain the hot tub - as I am sure the pond
wouldn't like the hot water or the peroxide based chemicals I use in it. So
I need recommendations for a pump or other alternative to remove the water
from the spa to the storm drain across the pond and through the grass and
over the walkway. AND NO I am not going to deal with the hose siphon set
up - as I get older I have less patience for that set up. :-)

--
Totus Tuus
Claudia (take out no spam to reply)

Old 19-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Newbie Bill

If you go the pump route I think what you want is a sump pump. I may be
wrong but I think they are often designed to drain more of the contents than
a pond pump. I would guess HD or the like will have several models. If you
arent draining everything Laguna makes a utility pump. I saw some pretty
cheap on Ebay. HTH
Bill

Old 20-10-2004, 07:15 AM
Claudia

OK got a FloTec, but in reading the manual (novel concept I know) it
mentions not to use where fish are present. anyone know why - other than
fear of sucking them up? need to drop pond level a bit due to torrential
rains here in Ventura County - like 3 inches in 3 days.

--
Totus Tuus
Claudia (take out no spam to reply)
m...

Old 20-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Derek Broughton

Claudia wrote:

OK got a FloTec, but in reading the manual (novel concept I know) it
mentions not to use where fish are present. anyone know why - other than
fear of sucking them up?

Just the fear of sucking them up.
--
derek

Old 20-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Artships

In article wondd.1653$106.1123@trnddc03,
"Claudia" writes:
OK got a FloTec, but in reading the manual (novel concept I know) it
mentions not to use where fish are present. anyone know why - other than
fear of sucking them up?

Or poisoning them when the pump breaks and releases its oil, maybe?

John
Old 20-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Derek Broughton

"Claudia" writes:
OK got a FloTec, but in reading the manual (novel concept I know) it
mentions not to use where fish are present. anyone know why - other than
fear of sucking them up?

Or poisoning them when the pump breaks and releases its oil, maybe?

Most pumps won't actually poison the fish if they leak (which is why the
notoriously leaky LGs don't recommend against using in fish ponds) - but
you could be right.
--
derek
Old 21-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Crashj

On or about Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:06:14 GMT, "Claudia"
was seen typing:
In a lack of forward thinking I have placed my hot tub behind the pond on my
patio and therefore have no way to drain the hot tub

AND NO I am not going to deal with the hose siphon set
up - as I get older I have less patience for that set up. :-)

Crikeys, how often do you need to drain the tub, once a year, maybe?
I would do the same thing I did when I had to drain my pond:
Get a cheap drill operated pump. This handy gadget hooks to your
electric drill and pumps water out a garden hose connector. Once the
flow starts and the syphon is established you can disconnect the
litlle pump and let the rest just run out by syphon.
Another way would be to simply tee into a line of the tub circulation
system with a gate valve and use that pump to get the flow going out.
Shut off the pump once the draining starts.

Are you dumping the water into a place where it is environmentally
sound to do that?

--
Crashj

Old 21-10-2004, 07:00 PM
ClaudCar

Crashj - your solution is outstanding, if I wasn't pumping up to a sink in
the house. and I need the pump for the pond anyway - 4 inches of rain in
the last 4 days has made for an overfull pond. This is a self contained
unit (SofTub), with no accessible pvc to tee to - as that would have been an
even more outstanding solution.

--
Claudia

Old 21-10-2004, 07:00 PM
ClaudCar

"Crashj" wrote in message
[...]

Zone 6...To Pump or not to pump? BenignVanilla Ponds 6 10-03-2004 11:18 PM
Pump in or Pump out? Szpond Ponds 5 15-11-2003 05:32 PM
Pool Pump Cover (was Swimming pool filter/pump question) Raymond Luxury-Yacht Lawns 0 15-05-2003 07:56 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Brian White sci.agriculture 24 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Oz sci.agriculture 13 18-02-2003 05:42 AM