Old 06-11-2004, 03:51 PM
J.D. Stone

"southernbc" wrote in message
news:ZsNhd.53860$df2.53496@edtnps89...
I built a hoop house this year over my pond in BC. With our snow load I
decided to run the hoops in a continuous arch uncut and support the center
on a ridge beam. I also hung a 100 watt light inside turned on all the
time to generate a little heat. Our nights have been running about 14
degrees farenheight but the heat inside the shelter has not yet dropped
more than 1 degree below freezing. I do not have any pictures as yet, but
this system is better suited to areas with a snow load than what I have
seen in the pictures on J.D. Stones website. (although they look great)
http://www.boundary-ca.net
Don Mann - Greenwood BC

Yep, I quite agree. Not much snow load in Texas. How do you support your
ridge beam? I like the idea; would make setup, dismantling, and storing
probably easier. 'Course it's easier for me to buy and transport 10' vice
20' PVC.
JD

http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/hoops.htm

Old 07-11-2004, 07:14 AM
southernbc

J.D. Stone wrote:
"southernbc" wrote in message

better suited to areas with a snow load than what I have
seen in the pictures on J.D. Stones website. (although they look great)
http://www.boundary-ca.net
Don Mann - Greenwood BC

Yep, I quite agree. Not much snow load in Texas. How do you support your
ridge beam? I like the idea; would make setup, dismantling, and storing
probably easier. 'Course it's easier for me to buy and transport 10' vice
20' PVC.
JD

http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/hoops.htm

Hello JD,

I put a post in about 4 feet from each end of the approx. 24ft shelter
with knee bracing on both sides to distribute the weight as evenly as
possible. My pond is mostly timber deck around so it was easy to fasten
and brace the posts sideways at the bottom. I will try to get and post
some pictures but as yet none exist. At the following link you can see
the basics of my pond though.

Don Mann - Greenwood BC
http://www.boundary-ca.net/pond/index.html

Old 08-11-2004, 12:01 PM
J.D. Stone

Yep, I quite agree. Not much snow load in Texas. How do you support your
ridge beam? I like the idea; would make setup, dismantling, and storing
probably easier. 'Course it's easier for me to buy and transport 10' vice
20' PVC.
JD

http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/hoops.htm

Hello JD,

I put a post in about 4 feet from each end of the approx. 24ft shelter
with knee bracing on both sides to distribute the weight as evenly as
possible. My pond is mostly timber deck around so it was easy to fasten
and brace the posts sideways at the bottom. I will try to get and post
some pictures but as yet none exist. At the following link you can see
the basics of my pond though.

Don Mann - Greenwood BC
http://www.boundary-ca.net/pond/index.html

Thanks, Don. That sounds pretty clear. Your pond looks like a comfy place to
relax.
JD