Old 25-10-2004, 02:18 AM
J.D. Stone

Default My hoops

Thought I'd provide a link to some pics of the hoop houses I am trying out
this year based on ideas from others in the past. Still need to work on what
to do with the corners (edges? whatevers?).

http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/hoops.htm

--
J.D. Stone
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/

Old 25-10-2004, 03:24 AM
Granny Grump

Thought I'd provide a link to some pics of the hoop houses I am trying out
this year based on ideas from others in the past. Still need to work on what
to do with the corners (edges? whatevers?).

Nice! I have been thinking of doing this to my ponds too..... now I
know I will, since I have your site to use as a reference.

Old 25-10-2004, 04:37 AM
GareeeŠ

Same here.. what was the trick with the zippers? Where can they be found,
and how much are they? Attachment method?

Old 25-10-2004, 04:51 AM
Bill Stock

"GareeeŠ" wrote in message
Same here.. what was the trick with the zippers? Where can they be found,
and how much are they? Attachment method?

I believe they're used for home renovations so you can seal off a room to
keep dust/heat in. So HD, Lowes, etc. should have them. They attach with
sticky tape as far as I know. Here's a pictu

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43 456,43465

Old 25-10-2004, 09:33 AM
J.D. Stone

"GareeeŠ" wrote in message
Same here.. what was the trick with the zippers? Where can they be found,
and how much are they? Attachment method?

"Granny Grump" wrote in message

Thought I'd provide a link to some pics of the hoop houses I am trying
out
this year based on ideas from others in the past. Still need to work on
what
to do with the corners (edges? whatevers?).

Nice! I have been thinking of doing this to my ponds too..... now I
know I will, since I have your site to use as a reference.

Zipper was found at home depot near the tarps (by the paint department in
our store). Cost about $8. Basically it is put on like a decal. Peel the
backing off as you go and it sticks to the plastic (I think it says it has
to be above 70°F to attach, initially). Then you open the zipper and slice
down the middle. Set it so it zips down to close.

Old 26-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Nice hoop house. How cold does it get in your winter?

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 27-10-2004, 03:21 AM
J.D. Stone

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
. ..
Nice hoop house. How cold does it get in your winter?

Phyllis

--

In Texas, SW of Fort Worth. Mostly mild, snow and/or ice maybe one to three
days, if then. The hoop house wouldn't sustain much snow, I don't think.

J.D. Stone
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/

Old 31-10-2004, 11:58 PM
W Dale

WOW. Very nice! I have been wanting to cover my pond during the winter
months here in Colorado Springs. This just might be the way to go.
Simple, easy to assemble.
Thanks for sharing!
W. Dale

Old 02-11-2004, 03:11 PM
southernbc

I built a hoop house this year over my pond in BC. With our snow load I
decided to run the hoops in a continuous arch uncut and support the
center on a ridge beam. I also hung a 100 watt light inside turned on
all the time to generate a little heat. Our nights have been running
about 14 degrees farenheight but the heat inside the shelter has not yet
dropped more than 1 degree below freezing. I do not have any pictures
as yet, but this system is better suited to areas with a snow load than
what I have seen in the pictures on J.D. Stones website. (although they
look great) http://www.boundary-ca.net
Don Mann - Greenwood BC

Old 06-11-2004, 03:51 PM
J.D. Stone

"southernbc" wrote in message
I built a hoop house this year over my pond in BC. With our snow load I
decided to run the hoops in a continuous arch uncut and support the center
on a ridge beam. I also hung a 100 watt light inside turned on all the
time to generate a little heat. Our nights have been running about 14
degrees farenheight but the heat inside the shelter has not yet dropped
more than 1 degree below freezing. I do not have any pictures as yet, but
this system is better suited to areas with a snow load than what I have
seen in the pictures on J.D. Stones website. (although they look great)
http://www.boundary-ca.net
Don Mann - Greenwood BC

Yep, I quite agree. Not much snow load in Texas. How do you support your
ridge beam? I like the idea; would make setup, dismantling, and storing
probably easier. 'Course it's easier for me to buy and transport 10' vice
20' PVC.
JD

http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/hoops.htm