Old 04-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Ann in Houston

Default fish don't like clear water

At least, I would say they have to get used to it. Even when I had clear
water for a while and then it turned green, it shook them up for a while
when I conquered the algae and could see them again. The fish in the new
pond still aren't happy about it. They seem to feel like they are in a fish
bowl ; ) I guess that would be worse than a pond, huh!? I'll have to go
tell them that. Maybe it will help.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Crashj

On or about Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:42:36 GMT, "Ann in Houston"
wrote something like:

At least, I would say they have to get used to it. Even when I had clear
water for a while and then it turned green, it shook them up for a while
when I conquered the algae and could see them again. The fish in the new
pond still aren't happy about it.

I think they are more startled when you come up to the edge of a clear
pond. Think of it from their point of view - with a murky pond, you
aren't as clearly seen as a big threatening moving object.
"Murky Research"
--
Crashj
Old 05-11-2004, 02:37 AM
george

wrote something like:

At least, I would say they have to get used to it. Even when I had clear
water for a while and then it turned green, it shook them up for a while
when I conquered the algae and could see them again. The fish in the new
pond still aren't happy about it.

I think they are more startled when you come up to the edge of a clear
pond. Think of it from their point of view - with a murky pond, you
aren't as clearly seen as a big threatening moving object.
"Murky Research"
--
Crashj

Some fish are skiddish regardless of the water conditions. It takes some work
and time to get some fish to trust you. Sometimes they never learn to trust
you. I've seen some fish take cues from other, apparently spooked fish, and
then they would start behaving the same way. Obviously it is a defensive
reaction. Sometimes an aggressive, harrassing fish will cause others to be
spooked, and then practically any movement will spook them. Sometimes they get
spooked by a predator lurking about, and then just don't trust anything. My
fish see me, and it's howdy doody time. They practically jump out of the water
with joy, as if they are competing for that first morsel, even when I am not
going to feed them. They are such hams and bad actors. They do this even when I
know for a fact that they aren't hungry. Mine are very friendly, and will swim
all around my hand and nibble on it when I stick my hand in the water. I had to
crawl into the pond this summer to work on part of the filter, and I had a heck
of a time keeping them from congregating around me. It was as if they just had
to know what I was doing. They had no fear whatsoever, aznd were very curious.
My water is crystal clear. When I buy fish, I observe their behavior very
closely. I never buy any fish that are hiding, or appear nervous or skiddish.
I always go for the curious, friendly ones because they are nearly always the
healthiest, and the easiest to handle, and the most enjoyable ones when I get
them home. And they aren't always the prettiest. My friendliest Koi is quite
the ugly duckling.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Ann in Houston

wrote something like:

At least, I would say they have to get used to it. Even when I had

clear
water for a while and then it turned green, it shook them up for a while
when I conquered the algae and could see them again. The fish in the

new
pond still aren't happy about it.

I think they are more startled when you come up to the edge of a clear
pond. Think of it from their point of view - with a murky pond, you
aren't as clearly seen as a big threatening moving object.
"Murky Research"
--
Crashj

Some fish are skiddish regardless of the water conditions. It takes some

work
and time to get some fish to trust you.......My fish see me, and it's

howdy doody time. They practically jump out of the water with joy, as if
they are competing for that first morsel, even when I am not
going to feed them. They are such hams and bad actors. They do this even

when I
know for a fact that they aren't hungry.......... Mine are very friendly,

and will swim
all around my hand and nibble on it when I stick my hand in the water. I

had to
crawl into the pond this summer to work on part of the filter, and I had a

heck
of a time keeping them from congregating around me. It was as if they

just had
to know what I was doing.

random snipping

Oh, yeah, these same fish were crawling over the top of each other when we
came out to see them in the big pond. And, they act like cats under your
feet if you get in with them. Even if they were afraid of you before, they
still act like that if you get in the pond. As a matter of fact, they will
eat from my hands if I am in the water.The water has gone from clear to
green to clear and green again. Plus they didn't like being moved. They'll
get over it. They just don't like being looked at right now.