Old 17-11-2004, 11:03 PM
Gareee©

Default Newts (or salamanders) in with the goldfish.. a problem for either?

I was just netting out some leaves from the pond today (no, I never got
around to netting the damned thing), and netted a small yellow with black
spotted salamander.

Salamanders and newts are quite common in western NC, but I was wondering if
the goldfish would be gobbling him up?

"Sal" might fit in the aquarium in the house, with our other fish...and I'm
sure, if there's one, there's more of them.

So we have a small catfish, about 7 small goldfish (that are growing daily),
frogs, and now salamanders in our pond. (The turtles around her will wade
through it, but leave after a time.)

Lotsa wild life out there!

We also got a bubbler, and dual air stones to keep a hole open when we get
the colder temps.

We're already getting frost on the ground overnight, and some light ice on
smaller water containers outside.

Any good advice when to stop feeding the fish? They are still gobbling up
food I put in for them.

Same question.. when should I remove the WH?

--
Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Old 17-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Ka30P

Is this your fellow?

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors
zone 7 SE WA state
Old 17-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Ka30P

Old 17-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Ka30P

Okay, let's try that again....
Is this your fellow?
http://tinyurl.com/5p93s

I'd stop feeding the fish when the water temp. stays below 55 degrees.
And I'd move the water hyacinth out when it gets nipped by the first frost or
whenever I had the time (don't like the idea of working out by the pond when it
gets that cold...!)

Old 18-11-2004, 04:15 AM
Gareee©

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Okay, let's try that again....
Is this your fellow?
http://tinyurl.com/5p93s

Yep.. at least one of them is. We'll just leave them in the pond.. we've
seen plenty in the stream running through our yard, and seen red crayfish as
well.

I'd stop feeding the fish when the water temp. stays below 55 degrees.
And I'd move the water hyacinth out when it gets nipped by the first frost
or
whenever I had the time (don't like the idea of working out by the pond
when it
gets that cold...!)

The WH will just go in the compost heap.. I've heard you really can't winter
them practically.

I might leave 1 or 2 in the pond, and see if they'll make it themselves...

Old 18-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Ann in Houston

"Gareee©" wrote in message

The WH will just go in the compost heap.. I've heard you really can't

winter
them practically.

I sure wish it was practical to send you the postage and my address so you
could send them to me, and I could send you some back in the spring. But,
they don't do that well in the winter, here, either. Maybe someone who
lives in Fla. would do it for you - if they don't mind gambling against
getting caught receiving and mailing illegal plants.

Old 18-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Gareee©

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
om...

"Gareee©" wrote in message

The WH will just go in the compost heap.. I've heard you really can't

winter
them practically.

I sure wish it was practical to send you the postage and my address so you
could send them to me, and I could send you some back in the spring. But,
they don't do that well in the winter, here, either. Maybe someone who
lives in Fla. would do it for you - if they don't mind gambling against
getting caught receiving and mailing illegal plants.

I was fortunate enough to have these "gifted" to me, so there's no $$$ loss.
If they survive, I can always help someone else out next year.

Old 18-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Snooze

"Gareee©" wrote in message

I was fortunate enough to have these "gifted" to me, so there's no $$$

loss.
If they survive, I can always help someone else out next year.

Around here, the cheapest garden store sells WH for $1.50 each, so I buy 5
plants, they grow fast enough, and 5 plants is enough to kick start the pond
after the spring algae bloom.

Snooze

Old 18-11-2004, 09:03 PM
Crashj

On or about Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:59:07 GMT, "Ann in Houston"
wrote something like:

I sure wish it was practical to send you the postage and my address so you
could send them to me, and I could send you some back in the spring.

"Your Mom and I are going to Key West for the Winter, the cat is off
to Hawaii, King spends the season at Ididarod, and the WH are with Ann
in Houston."
From "Harvard Lampoon's Winter Vacation"
--
Crashj

Old 18-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Ann in Houston

wrote something like:

I sure wish it was practical to send you the postage and my address so

you
could send them to me, and I could send you some back in the spring.

"Your Mom and I are going to Key West for the Winter, the cat is off
to Hawaii, King spends the season at Ididarod, and the WH are with Ann
in Houston."
From "Harvard Lampoon's Winter Vacation"
--
Crashj

They sure would look nice in my newly planted pond. sigh

Old 18-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Barbara2245

"Gareee©" wrote in message ...
"Ka30P" wrote in message

Okay, let's try that again....
Is this your fellow?
http://tinyurl.com/5p93s

Yep.. at least one of them is. We'll just leave them in the pond.. we've
seen plenty in the stream running through our yard, and seen red crayfish as
well.

I'd stop feeding the fish when the water temp. stays below 55 degrees.
And I'd move the water hyacinth out when it gets nipped by the first frost
or
whenever I had the time (don't like the idea of working out by the pond
when it
gets that cold...!)

As I recall some one said salamanders only go to the pond to breed.
They will take care of themselves. Before I found them in the window
wells and one year a mother and baby died or was found dried up. So if
found there I move them. Happy water gardening.

Old 18-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Gareee©

"Barbara2245" wrote in message

As I recall some one said salamanders only go to the pond to breed.
They will take care of themselves. Before I found them in the window
wells and one year a mother and baby died or was found dried up. So if
found there I move them. Happy water gardening.

The only time I've ever seen them, was in out mountain stream that runs
through the yard.

The water is "bottled water quality", and the salamanders and crayfish are
usually underneath rocks.. over turn them, and there they are.