Old 23-12-2004, 11:30 AM
George

Default Arctic blast hits midwest

Well, It's early Thursday morning here in Louisville, and we have six inches of
snow on the ground. The temperature is 17 F and dropping. My pond is going
through the first hard winter storm since I built it two years ago. I had to
thaw out the air hose this morning, and will have to watch it carefully. The
de-icer seems to be working quite well so far (just a little slush around the
rocks by the waterfall). The fish, though obviously quite chilly, seem to be
weathering it ok so far. Most seem to be staying in the middle of the water
column (about 2.5 feet down) below the de-icer in the center of the pond. The
surface water temperature is probaly right at freezing, or just above. I
haven't yet measured the water temperature at the bottom (45"). I will post it
once I've made that measurement (if I can find the thermometer - it's somewhere
beneath the snow by the water fall). It is supposed to get down to 6 F tonight.
The forcast for Friday night is for clear and cold with the temperature dropping
to -1 F. The temperature is expected to drop to possibly -12 F by early
Christmas morning, so I will have to watch for any ice build-up very carefully.
Fortunately, it is supposed to warm up to 46 F on Monday, so hopefully the ice
won't build up too badly.

Merry Christmas, all! Stay warm.

Arctic Kiwi - Need to save them [email protected] Gardening 3 05-07-2009 04:13 AM
C. Arctic Snow - Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 15-10-2007 02:20 AM
Arctic blast hits midwest George Ponds 14 25-12-2004 12:38 AM
Graduate Position, Arctic Soil Ecology Mario Tenuta Plant Biology 0 15-12-2004 05:22 PM
Graduate Position, Arctic Soil Ecology Mario Tenuta Plant Science 0 15-12-2004 04:10 PM