Old 23-12-2004, 11:30 AM
George

Default Arctic blast hits midwest

Well, It's early Thursday morning here in Louisville, and we have six inches of
snow on the ground. The temperature is 17 F and dropping. My pond is going
through the first hard winter storm since I built it two years ago. I had to
thaw out the air hose this morning, and will have to watch it carefully. The
de-icer seems to be working quite well so far (just a little slush around the
rocks by the waterfall). The fish, though obviously quite chilly, seem to be
weathering it ok so far. Most seem to be staying in the middle of the water
column (about 2.5 feet down) below the de-icer in the center of the pond. The
surface water temperature is probaly right at freezing, or just above. I
haven't yet measured the water temperature at the bottom (45"). I will post it
once I've made that measurement (if I can find the thermometer - it's somewhere
beneath the snow by the water fall). It is supposed to get down to 6 F tonight.
The forcast for Friday night is for clear and cold with the temperature dropping
to -1 F. The temperature is expected to drop to possibly -12 F by early
Christmas morning, so I will have to watch for any ice build-up very carefully.
Fortunately, it is supposed to warm up to 46 F on Monday, so hopefully the ice
won't build up too badly.

Merry Christmas, all! Stay warm.

Old 23-12-2004, 06:36 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:30:58 GMT, "George" wrote:

Well, It's early Thursday morning here in Louisville, and we have six inches of
snow on the ground. The temperature is 17 F and dropping. snip I
haven't yet measured the water temperature at the bottom (45"). I will post it
once I've made that measurement. The temperature is expected to drop to possibly -12 F by early
Christmas morning, snip

Merry Christmas, all! Stay warm.

Brrr! Do you have any pictures on-line, George? ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/ - ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 23-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Bob Koerber

George wrote:

[...]

Not just the midwest it hit the deep south also 26 at 1:10 in the
afternoon. Looks like the first time in 2 years that we don't get above
freezing. Tonight looks like about 15 and about 10 tomorrow night. The
big pond (.4 acre) is getting a good coating of ice on it. But the Koi
are snug as a bug in the rug inside the heated greenhouse. Water temp
is about 65 degrees or so at least thats how it felt when I stepped into
it on accident last weekend! So much for ladder safety. Bob in North
Alabama

Old 23-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Gail Futoran

"Bob Koerber" wrote

Not just the midwest it hit the deep south also 26 at 1:10 in the
afternoon. Looks like the first time in 2 years that we don't get above
freezing. Tonight looks like about 15 and about 10 tomorrow night. The
big pond (.4 acre) is getting a good coating of ice on it. But the Koi
are snug as a bug in the rug inside the heated greenhouse. Water temp is
about 65 degrees or so at least thats how it felt when I stepped into it
on accident last weekend! So much for ladder safety. Bob in North
Alabama

Not quite as cold here (Southcentral TX) but enough
that I covered both above ground ponds overnight. I
still get some ice but not much. Fortunately my
in-ground pond stays warm enough that it never freezes.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 23-12-2004, 08:56 PM
George

wrote:

Well, It's early Thursday morning here in Louisville, and we have six inches
of
snow on the ground. The temperature is 17 F and dropping. snip I
haven't yet measured the water temperature at the bottom (45"). I will post
it
once I've made that measurement. The temperature is expected to drop to
possibly -12 F by early
Christmas morning, snip

Merry Christmas, all! Stay warm.

Brrr! Do you have any pictures on-line, George? ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/ - ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Unfortunately, no. I dropped my digital camera, so it isn't working right now.
I said we had six inces, but we actually ended up with 8 inches.

Old 23-12-2004, 11:11 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Feel for all you in the big chill. It is sliding by us, we're on the edge
waving as it heads your way. We had a low in the 20's and woke up to the
first heavy frost, the closest we'll get to a white Christmas.
Unfortunately, the cold and snow may get us later. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 24-12-2004, 12:57 AM
RichToyBox

About 3 days ago, high was 35, and we got about 1/2 inch of snow, today it
was 65 and Christmas day it is supposed to get to a high of 35. Fish got
down to 59 in the small pond but are back above 65 today, in thier heated
lean-to covered ponds.
--
RichToyBox

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers
=-----

Old 24-12-2004, 01:50 AM
George

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
news
Feel for all you in the big chill. It is sliding by us, we're on the edge
waving as it heads your way. We had a low in the 20's and woke up to the
first heavy frost, the closest we'll get to a white Christmas.
Unfortunately, the cold and snow may get us later. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Well, considering the storm formed on the first day of winter (monday), and hit
us yesterday, I'd say that Winter has gotten off to a vigorous start in these
parts. You may indeed see some of the white stuff later. Who knows? I'd be
more than happy to let you take all of mine that you can haul away, if you can
make it here through the 30 mile long traffic jam on the interstate. lol

Merry Christmas.

George

Old 24-12-2004, 01:56 AM
George

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
About 3 days ago, high was 35, and we got about 1/2 inch of snow, today it was
65 and Christmas day it is supposed to get to a high of 35. Fish got down to
59 in the small pond but are back above 65 today, in thier heated lean-to
covered ponds.
--
RichToyBox

Let me guess. You like to rub salt into wounds. lol

The revised forcast calls for a low here in Louisville of 0 F tonight.
Tomorrow, it is supposed to get up to about 20 F. The pond is holding up well,
considering. I'm about to take the dog out for her nightly rounds, so I will
check and see if any ice is forming. The de-icer is working well. There wasn't
any ice on the water this afternoon, despite the fact that it has been below
freezing for over 24 hours. I just hope it continues to work so well over the
weekend, since it is supposed to get about -12 F early Christmas morning.

Merry Christmas.

Old 24-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Nedra

These southern storms really are crazy. About 30 miles south they have over
1 to 2 feet
of snow. St. Louis, no snow, just bitterly cold! Monday it's supposed to
be 50 Degrees
here in middle Missouri. So strange.

Nedra
Lotus Garden:
Backyard Pond:

Old 25-12-2004, 12:38 AM
George

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
These southern storms really are crazy. About 30 miles south they have over
1 to 2 feet
of snow. St. Louis, no snow, just bitterly cold! Monday it's supposed to
be 50 Degrees
here in middle Missouri. So strange.

Nedra
Lotus Garden:
Backyard Pond:

After finally getting out and digging my car out of the driveway, I discovered
that we got 11 inches of snow, 3 inches of which is actually frozen sleet on the
bottom. I had to use a pick axe to break it up, then shovel away the ice
boulders. What fun on Christmas eve!

Arctic Kiwi - Need to save them [email protected] Gardening 3 05-07-2009 04:13 AM
C. Arctic Snow - Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 15-10-2007 02:20 AM
Arctic blast hits midwest George Ponds 0 23-12-2004 11:30 AM
Graduate Position, Arctic Soil Ecology Mario Tenuta Plant Biology 0 15-12-2004 05:22 PM
Graduate Position, Arctic Soil Ecology Mario Tenuta Plant Science 0 15-12-2004 04:10 PM