Old 04-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Mike Patterson

Default Does Water Hyacinth survive freezing?

Pond froze over to about 1/2", the WH now all appears to be dead, but
will it come back if I leave it?

Or should I get it out of there now and just start over in the spring?

The water lettuce seems to have survived, though it looks a bit pale
now.

TIA
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Old 04-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Gareee©

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
Pond froze over to about 1/2", the WH now all appears to be dead, but
will it come back if I leave it?

Or should I get it out of there now and just start over in the spring?

Good question.. I HAD freezing and ice, but today it's frickin 70 degrees!
(And this is in the mountains in NC!)

What a weird year of weather we had...

--
Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Old 04-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Mike Patterson wrote:

Pond froze over to about 1/2", the WH now all appears to be dead, but
will it come back if I leave it?

No. That's why it's not a pest in northern climes.
--
derek
Old 04-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Mike Patterson

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:00:38 -0400, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Mike Patterson wrote:

Pond froze over to about 1/2", the WH now all appears to be dead, but
will it come back if I leave it?

No. That's why it's not a pest in northern climes.

Thanks Derek.

I thought that possibly 1/2" of ice wasn't enough to kill it dead,
just scare it into hibernation. :-)

I'll scoop it out this afternoon.

Mike

Old 04-01-2005, 06:19 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
Pond froze over to about 1/2", the WH now all appears to be dead, but
will it come back if I leave it?

$$ No. It will rot and foul the water. Remove them.

Or should I get it out of there now and just start over in the spring?
The water lettuce seems to have survived, though it looks a bit pale
now.

$$ The water lettuce I have dies after a heavy frost. I keep some
overwinter in a indoor fish tank.
A few days after our last frostdate I put "half" out in the ponds
just-in-case. The other half goes out May 1st.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...in zone 6 TN.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
Pond froze over to about 1/2", the WH now all appears to be dead, but
will it come back if I leave it?

Or should I get it out of there now and just start over in the spring?

The water lettuce seems to have survived, though it looks a bit pale
now.

In my experience, once WH get frozen or frosted, they die, sink and rot. My
neighbor has successfully sunk some below the ice and had them survive, but
I have not.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 04-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Phisherman

Maybe, maybe not. It survived last year's freeze and came back with a
vengeance last summer and covered 3/4 of the pond. It all looks dead
now, but I'm not certain. (E. Tennessee)

Old 05-01-2005, 04:40 AM
Ka30P

Water Hyacinth is a tropical plant.
And can be a real pest in warmer climates.
http://allafrica.com/stories/200412200565.html

kathy

Old 06-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Crashj

On or about Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:19:31 -0600, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote something like:

$$ The water lettuce I have dies after a heavy frost. I keep some
overwinter in a indoor fish tank.

I tried that; the fish in that tank loved it. All gone now.
--
Crashj