Old 09-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Mark

Default bubbler

That bubbler method really works good. I put an aquarium air line,
connected to an old pump, in my pond. Not only does it keep a hole in
the ice, it is keeping a hole through three feet of snow.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:17 PM
John Bachman

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 07:22:00 GMT, Mark wrote:

That bubbler method really works good. I put an aquarium air line,
connected to an old pump, in my pond. Not only does it keep a hole in
the ice, it is keeping a hole through three feet of snow.

Yes, same here although we do not have that much snow, yet.

Last year we had a very cold winter here in NH (really a normal winter
but the newcomers have been spoiled) and my pond had 18 inches of ice
in it with a nice hole in the middle.

I did have to replace the aquarium pump though. They are diaphragm
pumps and the diaphragm stiffens when it gets cold - then not able to
create enough pressure.

I rigged up my compressor to a bubbler this year and it is doing just
fine so far.

John

Old 09-01-2005, 02:36 PM

I built a simple DIY light bulb deicer. I put a small old air pump
inside. I am pumping air outside the deicer. This should give me an
external hole for the birds and hopefully keep the pump from freezing.
Keith

Old 09-01-2005, 07:43 PM
G & K Meyer

Could you give me more details? I let one of my water pumps run all winter
but think the air pump might be better, less electric anyway? Also save on
pump replacements. What size air pump and where do you get them? I have
about 1000-1200 gal pond.
Thanks
oups.com...

Old 09-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Gale Pearce

Could you give me more details? I let one of my water pumps run all

winter
but think the air pump might be better, less electric anyway? What size

air pump and where do you get them? I have
about 1000-1200 gal pond.

You can buy an inexpensive aquarium pump at any pet (read GF store) as long
as you protect it from the elements with a rain/snow proof container - I use
an Optima by Hagen and a small Rubbermaid container - just make sure the
airline has no low hanging loops for moisture to collect in and freeze
during thaw/freeze cycles
an airpump uses about 5 watts of electricity, a 1200 gallon water pump
about 150 watts as well as being more expensive to replace or repair. In the
really cold stretches, use a stick to *tap* the thin ice dome that forms ,
or hot water on a regular basis (daily) - if it gets too thick, you will
have a problem (been there done that!!!!)
Gale :~)

Bubbler Socks? Bill Stock Ponds 4 06-12-2004 05:10 PM
Bubbler Socks? Bill Stock Ponds 0 05-12-2004 06:57 PM
Bubbler pumps Mosfunland Ponds 13 05-12-2004 04:41 PM
Bubbler pumps Mosfunland Ponds 0 03-12-2004 05:30 PM
Help! Air bubbler is running but there is no hole in pond... D Kat Ponds 7 19-01-2004 02:42 PM