Old 30-01-2005, 04:04 PM
JB

Default Where Do You Buy Your Fish Food

Hey!

Looking to buy an 11 pound bag of Hikari Staple to feed my fish I visited a
number of web sites and noticed a high to low price spread of over $20 on
this product. Then there's the shipping charges that vary almost as much.
I'm looking for some recommendations on where to get a good price on quality
fish food since I'll probably be feeding more than the one bag this summer -
3,000 gallon pond, 3 large koi & 23 goldfish and rising.

TIA.

John

Old 30-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:04:12 GMT, "JB" wrote:

Hey!

Looking to buy an 11 pound bag of Hikari Staple to feed my fish I visited a
number of web sites and noticed a high to low price spread of over $20 on
this product. Then there's the shipping charges that vary almost as much.
I'm looking for some recommendations on where to get a good price on quality
fish food since I'll probably be feeding more than the one bag this summer -
3,000 gallon pond, 3 large koi & 23 goldfish and rising.

TIA.

John

I got a tub of Pond-10 from BigLots for 25 cents--that was a deal! I
also buy TetraMin at Walmart.
Old 30-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Andrew Burgess

Looking to buy an 11 pound bag of Hikari Staple to feed my fish I visited a
number of web sites and noticed a high to low price spread of over $20 on
this product. Then there's the shipping charges that vary almost as much.
I'm looking for some recommendations on where to get a good price on quality
fish food since I'll probably be feeding more than the one bag this summer -
3,000 gallon pond, 3 large koi & 23 goldfish and rising.

Perhaps consider switching brands. Rangen manufactures and ships koi food to end users.
Was about $50 for 25 lbs including shipping for me a year ago.
At that time their phone was 208 543 6421

Also, might as well start the great 'feed catfish food to koi' debate again :-)
Catfish food is something like 25 cents a pound at a local feed store...

Old 31-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Hal

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:04:12 GMT, "JB" wrote:

Hey!

Looking to buy an 11 pound bag of Hikari Staple to feed my fish I visited a
number of web sites and noticed a high to low price spread of over $20 on
this product. Then there's the shipping charges that vary almost as much.
I'm looking for some recommendations on where to get a good price on quality
fish food since I'll probably be feeding more than the one bag this summer -
3,000 gallon pond, 3 large koi & 23 goldfish and rising.

http://www.mazuri.com/ Scroll down and click on the koi icon on the
right side of the screen. You have a choice of different foods and
size pellets.

You can order any of these through a local Purina farm foods dealer,
local prices vary.

Regards,

Hal

Old 31-01-2005, 09:00 PM
~ Windsong ~

"JB" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hey!

Looking to buy an 11 pound bag of Hikari Staple to feed my fish I visited

number of web sites and noticed a high to low price spread of over $20 on
this product. Then there's the shipping charges that vary almost as much.

$$ I buy catfish food at anywhere from $9 to $11.00 per 50 lb sack. My koi
and large GF are thriving on it. For the smaller fish I buy Ichabon "small
pellet" from a local Aquarium store. I don't remember what I paid for it
but it was very, very expensive - something like $14 for a 5 lb bag.

I'm looking for some recommendations on where to get a good price on

quality
fish food since I'll probably be feeding more than the one bag this

summer -
3,000 gallon pond, 3 large koi & 23 goldfish and rising.

$$ Call your local feed stores.... Feeds made for ornamental fish are
horribly overpriced. feeds made for food fish are very reasonably priced.
As a treat I also toss in some inexpensive puppy and kitty chow. The koi
love it!

Carol.... the frugal ponder...
Completely FREE softwa
http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/index.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 31-01-2005, 09:04 PM
~ Windsong ~

"foz" wrote in message
E-bay... some bargains on there!!

=======================
You can really get screwed on E-bay. The food can be stale and full of bugs
and you have shipping to pay. Our local TSC or Tractor Supply Company has
catfish food, fresh and clean for less than $12 per 50 lb bag. Other "farm"
type stores also carry it.

Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Where the hell is Easy Street?"

Old 31-01-2005, 09:05 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
Also, might as well start the great 'feed catfish food to koi' debate

again :-)
Catfish food is something like 25 cents a pound at a local feed store...

====================
And koi and GF thrive on it! )

Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-02-2005, 06:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I prefer Sho Koi and order it from:
http://www.westernpond.com/ ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 PM
kathy

http://www.aquariumcenter.com/

Old 02-02-2005, 06:41 PM
~ Windsong ~

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.aquariumcenter.com/
============

I don't think they carry catfish food. I pick it up right here in town - no
shipping charges. :-)

Old 03-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Steve J. Noll

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:04:12 GMT, "JB" wrote:

Hey!

Looking to buy an 11 pound bag of Hikari Staple to feed my fish I visited a
number of web sites and noticed a high to low price spread of over $20 on
this product. Then there's the shipping charges that vary almost as much.
I'm looking for some recommendations on where to get a good price on quality
fish food since I'll probably be feeding more than the one bag this summer -
3,000 gallon pond, 3 large koi & 23 goldfish and rising.

TIA.

John

I like to feed my guys high quality food too (all are Butterfly Koi.)
I feed a mixture, usually of Sho Koi Impact and one of the Dainichi's.
They're definitely expensive and I haven't found one dealer that
carries both. I usually get the Dainichi locally or from Drs Foster &
Smith, the Sho Koi from Adams Aquatics or PondRX.

If it's any help in your search I've collected a list of 122 online
pond supply dealers at http://www.kissingfrogs.tv/ponddirectory.html

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (USDA Zone 10)