Old 06-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Bill Stock

Default Unwinterizing (Springizing?)

Wishful thinking I know.

But when can the Water Hyacinths go back in the pond, May 24th? They're
about to take over the house.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:14 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:13:52 -0500, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Wishful thinking I know.

But when can the Water Hyacinths go back in the pond, May 24th? They're
about to take over the house.

After last frost for sure. Here in Zone 7 we've put them out as early as
1st of April, but I always keep some in a protected area, either under the
covered patio next to the house or, the ones I put in the filter, I cover
with clear plastic, just in case. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 07-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Bill Stock

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:13:52 -0500, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Wishful thinking I know.

But when can the Water Hyacinths go back in the pond, May 24th? They're
about to take over the house.

After last frost for sure. Here in Zone 7 we've put them out as early as
1st of April, but I always keep some in a protected area, either under the
covered patio next to the house or, the ones I put in the filter, I cover
with clear plastic, just in case. ~ jan

Thanks, May 2-4 is basically safe planting weather (last frost) here.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Bill,

Water Hyacinths will be OK outside if the water temperature in the pond is
constantly over 70 degrees F. Any cooler and they will drop leaves, etc.
until the temperature rise into the 70's, which is my experience.

I won't be looking for water hycinths until late April or early May. I am
in Zone 7a.

Tom L.L.

Old 07-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Hal

wrote:

Wishful thinking I know.

But when can the Water Hyacinths go back in the pond, May 24th? They're
about to take over the house.

Water hyacinth can tolerate a frost on the leaves, but they will look
UUgly until they grow back out (new leaves) after the water warms up.
They grow better in water over 70*F.

Try adding a few to the pond when your water temperature gets above
40*F and protect them from a hard freeze. They will get smaller, but
mine usually show small slow growth as the water warms.

Regards,

Hal Zone 8

Old 07-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Bill Stock

"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
Bill,

Water Hyacinths will be OK outside if the water temperature in the pond is
constantly over 70 degrees F. Any cooler and they will drop leaves, etc.
until the temperature rise into the 70's, which is my experience.

I won't be looking for water hycinths until late April or early May. I am
in Zone 7a.

Tom L.L.

Thanks, Tom/Hal.

The 70°F number makes sense. I know they were not doing that well when I
brought them inside, so I bumped up the temp to 77°F and added more
Potassium. They are doing quite well now, but I was never sure what cured
them.

I won't be seeing 70°F in the pond (Zone 5A) for quite some time. We had a
cool summer here last year and the WH did not thrive.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Stephen Henning

Hal wrote:

Water hyacinth can tolerate a frost on the leaves, but they will look
UUgly until they grow back out (new leaves) after the water warms up.
They grow better in water over 70*F.

I am keeping my water hyacinth in tubs in a greenhouse. The air
temperature gets down to 40F and the water temperature gets down to 50F.
They are doing fine but basically just sitting there. I expect to see
growth now that the water temperature and minimum air temperature is
rising.

In my spring fed pond they prosper in water that never gets above 60F.
I won't put them back into the pond until the date for planting tomatoes
which is May 15th here, and then I will check the weather report first
to make sure that there is not chance of frost.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6