Old 31-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Stephen Henning

Default unwinterizing hardy water plants

I took the plants off the bottom of the pond (18" deep) and put them on
their marginal benches, which are about 5 inches below the surface of
the water. Since this is my first experience doing this here are some
of my surprises:

The yellow iris had already grown over 2' tall and were sticking out of
the water already.

The Monkey Flower (Mimulus) and Forget-Me-Not (Myosotis Scorpioides)
had overflowed their pots and were growing like mad. The Myosotis had
plantlets floating around the pond.

The Cardinal Flower (Lobelia Cardinalis) looked real good, like it was
ready to form buds.

The following were also very healthy. I was surprised how green
everything was.

Lizard's Tail (Saururus Cernuus
Pickerel Weed (Pontederia Cordata)
Rush (Juncus)
Water Willow (Justica Americana)

The Anacharis is growing into real sea-weed. It is getting very big. It
is difficult to walk through it (in waders).

My tender plants like Water Hyacinth and Parrots Feather are still in
tubs in my greenhouse.

Some of my minnows are getting some size to them.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6
Old 31-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Reel McKoi

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news

My tender plants like Water Hyacinth and Parrots Feather are still in
tubs in my greenhouse.

========================
Here in zone 6 TN Parrot's Feather is hardy. It withdraws under the water
surface for the winter and pops back up in March.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...

Old 31-03-2005, 08:07 PM
DKat

[...]

Thanks so much for this post. You just mentioned plants that I never
dreamed of growing in a pond and can now have fun with. I'm more than a bit
surprised that you seem to be ahead of us on Long Island. It is nice to
know what we can soon look forward to.