Old 09-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Gale Pearce

" is below 40 degrees, it's not recommened to put them on a timer. We ran
several of them for years, to actually keep stock tanks open for a herd of
cows. They really don't use any more electricity than my pump. )
Janet in foggy, raining Niagara Falls,ON

Hi Janet - I never heard you shouldn't put them on a timer - when I used
mine 9 yrs ago, I only plugged it in when it got really cold for a few hrs
at a time, well that is until 2 yrs ago when I had to use it to melt its
way into the pond. It ran for a day and a half that time to get a good size
hole opened up. I keep an eye on my bubbler from now on and I get rid of any
ice dome on the real cold days
How big a pump do you use ? - That heater must run almost constantly as
they will run whenever your pond water reaches 40 to 42F
My pump is a 2500 gal @ ~280 watts and the heater was 1500 watts
Gale :~) in snowing Tilbury

Old 11-02-2005, 12:35 AM

I live in Ohio and have used a stock pond deicer for years . Have
three tier ponds have a pump and heater in lower pond - plug in heater
when they start freezing- the pump circulates the water and keeps three
ponds ice free.Had to cover with netting this year had a Blue Heron
visiting took one gold fish. He has returned a couple of times to check
it out.