Old 17-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Lil ole me

Default WATER SPANIEL problems

The IWS Problem Corner
No dog is perfect, not even an Irisher, and some dogs are less perfect
than others. This is our page for IWS owners whose dogs have physical
or tempermental problems, and are looking for help or support from
others who have faced and overcome these problems. Please give them a
hand.
This month our "Jerry's Spaniel" has seen too many Hollywood starlets.
# Bonny Wilson (Virginia USA) : My 3 year old IWS, who is usually a
gorgeous liver brown over all her body, has in the past 6 months
developed a new color at the tips of her ears and on her feet up to
about half way up the leg. This new color is a sort of light chocolate
brown, like she's been walking in bleach or something! Or she's been
sun-bleached. It really is almost like a pattern in that it stops part
way up the leg almost on a line. Have any other Southern owners (or
any owners!) ever seen this? Ron Douglas (Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK) :
We own a 4 month old IWS, and ever since we first brought him home (at
9 weeks) he has disliked travelling in a vehicle. If we go to take him
for a ride in the car, even to go for a walk, he will try and hide
away somewhere, and when we lift him into the car, he will spend the
entire journey drooling excessively, and is obviously not happy. As
soon as we stop and let him out, he returns to his normal exuberant
self. Has anyone else ever come across this problem in a dog, and if
so, are there any suggestions as to how to stop him being so worried.
Someone has suggested that I give him 5 or 6 drops of tincture of
iodine in some milk prior to taking him in the car, as apparently this
cured their dog (a standard poodle) of a similar ailment, but I am
unwilling to just try this unless I know a little bit more about why
this might work.
# Angelo Pallotta (Kanata, Ontario Canada) : She has a young dog with
blown coat problems, and the hair on the back isn't as soft as the
rest.
# Alan C Kushion : (Michigan USA) I have an Irish Water Spaniel called
"Clancy." Clancy is an excellent companion and hunter. I have read
about the breed having an oily coat. Clancy does not seem to maintain
an oily coat. As we duck hunt in Northern Michigan by late season
there is cold icy water. Clancy shivers uncontrollably after junping
into these waters. Is this a concern? Could his lack of oil in his
coat be creating this problem?
# Sue Rioux : (Maritime Canada) "We had to put our male IWS down last
August '95 because of hip problems. He was 18 months old and in
terrible pain. His temperment changed drastically (he turned on our 13
year old son). We've since got a replacement (female) who is very
submissive and timid of strangers. She is being socialized (i.e.
obedience and confirmation). She also suffers from allergies (grass -
after running through the grass and fields she comes home with a rash
on her belly). Her topknot, neck and back is gorgeous as far as coat
is concerned but her rump (under the tail), belly and between her
front legs is almost hairless. I'm alone in the Maritimes as far as
advice on the breed is concerned. I need help!"
# Veronica Walsh : (Virginia USA) "One of my two IWS has epilepsy and
I'd like to talk to others with similar problems."
# Jennifer Kaszel : (Montreal Canada) "Umber our IWS is 4 1/2 years
old, she is loved by the whole family but has too much of that IWS
"shyness". She seems to be afraid of strange men and children.
Strangers who try to pet her or make fast motions, scare her and she
growls at them. Can we overcome this somehow? She also has an extreme
fascination with and desire to chase our dwarf rabbit."
# Melvyn John Goodall : (New Zealand) "We have an 8 month old Irish
Water Spaniel, who has been diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia. She
has already loss one sister. There is a lack of information on the
breed in New Zealand and we are attempting to form an association of
IWS owners. Would like to hear from anyone who has had full hip
replacement done, the age and success of the operation. Any help on
books or information on the breed would be appreciated."
# JP Tetreau : (Canada) "We have an IWS ourselves, who is fine, but
our breeder has another dog with a friend (no email access) who seems
to have a strange problem. The dog resides in the North West
Territories, and is a year and a half old. She is being trained as a
hunter, so spends considerable time outside. Two weeks ago, she
started to lose hair around just one eye, and experienced redness and
irritation to the eye. She has tested negative for mange, and a course
of antibiotics and drops has not cleared up the issue. Two days ago,
after a walk, she exhibited what appeared to be a severe allergic
reaction (hives,both eyes swelled shut) The owner does not think that
she was bitten by any insect or other. She was rushed to the vet, and
treated with two shots of cortisone and epinephrone. The owner and
breeder cannot determine the cause of either of these occurrences,
which may or may not be related, and are obviously both quite
concerned. If you can offer any suggestion of what you might think is
the cause of this, and/or what more might be tested, please let me
know."
Note: Thanks in part to the responses from this page, this problem has
been resolved as an unseen bee sting.

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Water Spaniel rescue orgs Lil ole me Ponds 0 17-02-2005 03:29 AM
Water Spaniel additional info sources (books etc) Lil ole me Ponds 0 17-02-2005 03:28 AM
Water spaniel health Lil ole me Ponds 0 17-02-2005 03:27 AM
Water Spaniel clubs Lil ole me Ponds 0 17-02-2005 03:25 AM