Old 17-02-2005, 03:29 AM
Lil ole me

Default Water Spaniels in Europe

The Netherlands
There are just about 40 IWS in Holland, a rare breed overhere. Most
IWS are bred out of English imports. There are some American imports
over here and there are a couple of "American bred" litters at the
moment. Never before we had two litters at once, so this is a very
unique situation. Both litters are showbred. The breed is recognized
in al the European countries under FCI rules. The biggest population
is probably in England. There are some in Scandinavia (Sweden and
Norway, mainly from American and English imports), and in Germany
there are very few (about 10 dogs, mostly Dutch bred), and there are
some IWS in France (out of Dutch and English dogs). American dogs
seems to be the winning type at shows this moment, well groomed and
really full of style.

The real working dog type is losing it's importance, there are very
few working-dog breeders. One or two in Ireland and one in England.
The breed is run in retriever trials in England and Ireland. In the
rest of Europe it's a spaniel and there is no way that the breed can
be compared with English Springer Spaniels at these trails.

There is only one breeder who succeeded in both show and trials, Eddy
Lennon from Dublin. His "lisnabroque"dogs have won both titles and
nobody has ever since made Field Trials Champions under English and
Irish rules. There are some dogs of Eddy imported to America (Yeats of
Lisnabroque)

I've run my IWS bitch in some Dutch game tests (open to all working
dogs and organized by the Dutch shooting society ) and she gained some
diplomas, and was winner of the Dutch working trophy.

The address for the Dutch Club is below. There is a yearly English
newsletter for our overseas memebers.

Ms. M.W.C. Jagt-Swanenberg
Kampersweg 4
7156 RC Beltrum
Holland.

You can also contact the Chairman of the Dutch Irish Water Spaniel
Association, Arjen Mets. or view their web site (nice pictures!) This
information was provided by Paul Swarts.
United Kingdom
There are two major IWS clubs in the UK.

The Irish Water Spaniel Association

The Sporting Irish Water Spaniel Club
Ireland
The Irish Water Spaniel Club of Ireland (under construction)
Scandinavia
The "IVS" seems to be very popular in Scandinavia.
Brian Madsen has a A Danish Language IWS Page
The Irish Water Spaniel Club of Finland
Lars Bengtsson has A Swedish Language IWS Page

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Water Spaniels and hunting Lil ole me Ponds 0 17-02-2005 03:27 AM
FAQ Water Spaniels Lil ole me Ponds 0 17-02-2005 03:25 AM
Water spaniels General standards Lil ole me Ponds 0 17-02-2005 03:24 AM