Old 02-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Elaine T

Default Finishing pond liner on tubs

Hello. Me again. I think I'm just going to cut lose and start asking
ALL my pondy questions now. :-) It's more fun than perfecting killfiles.

I've got my pond liner for the tubs - 20 mil EPDM. I've got one filed
with the liner perfectly flat on the bottom and folded neatly on the
sides but I'm not sure how to finish off the edge of the tub. I got
some 1/2" galvanized roofing nails figuring they'd be good for outdoor
use. Do I tack the liner to the rim of the tub and trim it so none
hangs over? Or is it better to fold it over a bit and tack it to the
outside of the tub?

I think tacking it to the rim would be neater but I wanted to be sure
that will work OK.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 02-03-2005, 11:24 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:20:31 GMT, Elaine T wrote:

I think I'm just going to cut lose and start asking
ALL my pondy questions now. :-) It's more fun than perfecting killfiles.

I'll agree with that.

I think tacking it to the rim would be neater but I wanted to be sure
that will work OK.

I'm in agreement with that also. ) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 10-03-2005, 04:33 AM
jazzylee

I've had good luck spraying rubber undercoat inside different porous
containers instead of lining them. The sort of undercoat used on cars. I
freshen up the coat every spring. Some containers I sealed cracks with
Bondo first (car body filler).

Old 21-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Elaine T

Gill Passman wrote:
"Elaine T" wrote in message

Hello. Me again. I think I'm just going to cut lose and start asking
ALL my pondy questions now. :-) It's more fun than perfecting killfiles.

I've got my pond liner for the tubs - 20 mil EPDM. I've got one filed
with the liner perfectly flat on the bottom and folded neatly on the
sides but I'm not sure how to finish off the edge of the tub. I got
some 1/2" galvanized roofing nails figuring they'd be good for outdoor
use. Do I tack the liner to the rim of the tub and trim it so none
hangs over? Or is it better to fold it over a bit and tack it to the
outside of the tub?

I think tacking it to the rim would be neater but I wanted to be sure
that will work OK.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Hi Elaine,
How big/deep are your tubs? What are you thinking of putting in
there?....you've just given me an idea *grin*
Gill

Hi, Gill - I didn't know you came here too!

They're standard half whiskey barrels from Lowe's, set at 3 different
heights. They're connected by DIY spillways (which still need work) to
make about 70 gallons total with a pump in the bottom pumping water to
the top. I have 4 gold white clouds that I'm hoping will breed over the
summer in the top one, and a shubunkin in the middle. There should be 2
Gambusia somewhere as well but they blend right into the liner so I
never see them.

Current plantlife
Floating plants - watter lettuce, azolla, and frogbit
Marginals - Umbrella palm (Cyperus alternifolius), Acorus gramineus, and
fiber optic grass (Isolepis cernua)
Oxygenators - Cambomba carolina - taking off!, Valisneria americana (not
happy), Egeria najas, Baby's tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides)

Coming soon...more marginals once I get better shelves built, a couple
of dwarf lilies, and a second shubunkin in about a month when the
bacteria catch up.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 21-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Gill Passman

"Elaine T" wrote in message
om...
Gill Passman wrote:
"Elaine T" wrote in message

[...]

I browse here occassionally. Some years ago we had a pond that was in the
wrong location and I didn't plan it right....it had to go when my youngest
was born...but now she's getting older we are planning to try setting one up
again although probably not til next year. So I just checkout a variety of
places to get some ideas/inspiration along with Pond type books etc. and to
try to educate myself so I don't make the same mistakes as I did before.

I've got a couple of empty planters at the moment - 36inch long, 18 inch
wide and 14 inches deep and am toying with the idea of setting up some kind
of water garden in at least one of them to keep me busy over the summer. Not
sure if they would be suitable for fish as we can get heavy frosts in the
winter but I'm looking into that as well. I've also got some bog irises that
need a new location - the dog keeps sitting on them in the summer to keep
cool - your idea of shelves has got me thinking on that as well - I had been
just thinking of lining one of the planters and keeping it wet...

Love the idea of having something cascading into the other....sounds cool...

Gill