Old 07-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Derek Broughton

kathy wrote:

Water Celery is the *actual* name
(I don't *do* scientific names ;-)

For those of you who don't "do" scientific names, check out
http://www.itis.usda.gov/. It doesn't help find "Water celery", but if you
ask for "celery", you find "watercelery" and "Vallisneria
americana" (Vallisneria??? see below). It's really helpful for everybody
when we know the scientific name, as there can be a dozen plants or animals
with the same common name (ITIS lists 4 "wild celery", at least two of them
being quite different). Once you have the scientific name, plug it into
"Google Images" (you can usually get there from the ITIS pages - click on
the highlighted common or scientific name, go to the bottom of the page and
click on "Search Off-Site Resources") for various images of the plant.

Vallisneria? OK, this probably isn't a very useful example for ITIS,
because I'm pretty sure Water Celery _can't_ be a Vallisneria. afaik,
Vallisneria are submerged plants, and water celery isn't. otoh, some
plants used as submerged oxygenators in the aquarium trade, really are
emergent plants, so it could be the same thing. It's _so_ much easier when
we know the scientific names...
--
derek
Old 08-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Benign Vanilla

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
snip
I plant watercress in my waterfall. I get it from the grocery store,
just a stem and leaves. I put the stem under a rock and
that's it. (Don't use BV's patent pending 'and beer' method
as I don't drink...)

snip

I use a similar beer drinking, place the roots under a rock technique. I did
find out last year that my drink and toss method works well with my stream,
which is actually a series of small pools that are interconnected. The WC
went crazy.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 08-03-2005, 08:50 PM
zookeeper

"Derek Broughton" wrote ...

... Vallisneria? OK, this probably isn't a very useful example for ITIS,
because I'm pretty sure Water Celery _can't_ be a Vallisneria. afaik,
Vallisneria are submerged plants, and water celery isn't ...

I'm pretty sure this "water celery" is actually water parsley (after doing
some research last year). Water parsley or Oenanthe sarmentosa is often
called water celery; either all green, or a green/white or green/pink
variegated form.

Pic of green plant at
http://www.calflora.net/bloomingplan...coenanthe.html
Pic of variegated plant at http://www.paghat.com/waterparsley.html
--
Zookeeper
Oregon, USDA Zone 7

Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 AM
jazzylee

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
kathy wrote:

Water Celery is the *actual* name
(I don't *do* scientific names ;-)

For those of you who don't "do" scientific names, check out
http://www.itis.usda.gov/. It doesn't help find "Water celery", but if
you

Cool! I didn't know about that site. I'm pretty familiar with botanical
names of ornamental plants (garden center manager), and I've often wondered
what the entire taxonomy looked like. It's been 25 years since I took a
biology class...

Old 10-03-2005, 04:52 PM
kathy

http://www.itis.usda.gov/.

Wow!! That's one to keep. :-))
I will mend my evil ways and keep it in mind.

kathy