Old 16-03-2005, 11:21 PM
~Roy~

I don't think there is really anything to worry about with John Q
Public getting his Form 37 approved. Its not that easy........Back
when I was n the USAF, we had an Owl take up residence in the
suspended insulation in one of our aircrafts shelters. The opwl was
making one heck of a mess, and keeping an aircraft in that shelter
proved to be problematic. Bird droppings and the mess they make caused
lots of problems on a 17.6 million dollar fighter jet. Even being a
government agency, they submitted a form to get the permission to
eliminate this owl......2 1/2 months later they get their form
returned DISSAPROVED. They had failed to take other steps prior to
submitting the form, and merely taking the life of the owl on a one
time deal was not sufficient for getting approval. After months and
months they finally waited until the owl had left for its evening
hunt, and closed up all openings in the shelter........erradicated the
nest it made in the ceiling area, and kept the building closed for a
while...Owl moved on and found a new nest site. It was done during the
time of year when the owl did not have young, and was merely using the
shelter / hanger as a base of operations.

And to all those who wish a crane or heron would stop by their pond,
send me your address and I'll see what I can work out for you in
getting your wish come true...So far so good with my pond, as its been
some time since I have had a problem with herons. Lots of outside
activity makes them nervous. Moving things around from time to time
also helps, as they do not particularly like a setting that things are
constantly changing in. I do not net, use sprinklers or fishing line.
I do have three gators that I move around periodically and IMHO they
do seem to work. We have lots of herons in this area all year round.
Its been a long long time since I lost any fish to a bird or even seen
a heron around my ponds.

On 15 Mar 2005 15:21:33 -0800, wrote:

===You can shoot and kill cranes and other migatory birds such as herons
===if they are destroying property. Here's how:
===
===Call USDA Wildlife Services at 303-236-8171 and explain to them that
===you are filing a migatory bird depredation permit application and need
===form 37. Explain to them that a crane (or whatever bird) is destroying
===your property and you would like to destroy it.
===
===Once you get form 37 go to
http://forms.fws.gov/3-200-13.pdf , fill it
===out and send it in. Once you get your permit you'll be able to destroy
===the bird legally.
===
===Sam

Old 17-03-2005, 12:56 AM
kathy

No call back today. But noticed the head of the
Fish and Wildlife resigned today so maybe everyone
is too busy. Also had someone tie me up on the
phone for an hour.

kathy :-)

Old 17-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Gail Futoran

"small fish" wrote in message
news:1110999587.bb418436744f5ed1975ee3bc36a94d55@t eranews...

"Gail Futoran" wrote

[snip]
I would kill to get a crane or heron stop by! Of course,
I only have minnows and goldfish (and frogs and toads)
in my ponds, and they have places to hide (PVC pipe,
plastic crates, vegetation), so even if my entire stock
got eaten, it wouldn't be a tragedy.

I would feel bad, even for goldfish since they react to human presence,
should they become a snack. Do you think your fish are protected enough
with
the hiding places you've provided?

Yeah, I do. So far I haven't lost any goldfish, but
it's hard to tell about the minnows. My stock remains
fairly constant, even with babies, but who knows what
is culling them? Probably snakes, or even backyard
birds. Or old age. I don't think minnows live all
that long.

Gail

Old 18-03-2005, 02:43 AM
jedi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Always been a problem and seems to be getting worse, the clash of
wildlife and human population needs.

We lived in and amongst the bears when we lived in Northern Canada.
They'd walk down the main street and we'd take the alley way. Seemed to
be the prudent thing to do.

We had a dachshund who thought she was hot stuff, take no prisoners,
let me at that mailman, I'll rip him to shreds, type of dog.

Her nest was right beside the porch door. When the bears came up on the
porch to partake of the garbage smorgasbord she never uttered a single
bark, growl or woof. Her reputation as a Tough Dog took a hit after
that...

kathy :-)

smart little dog I would say