Old 21-03-2005, 01:39 AM
~Roy~

Default Lowes plants look fanatastic...............

Our local lowes just got their display of aquatics in yesterday
evening, and as much as I wanted to buy some they told me it would be
today until they got it all setup and things entered in the computer,
so back we went first thing this morning. This display was all wrapped
in cardboard container, and then plastic so you could not see the
plants etc, and I was expecting the typical 4 x 4 x 4 inch square
plastic boxes with heavy clay and a root, with little or no leaves
etc, such as they have had in past years. This setup was totally
different. They had floaters, marginals and lillys, which were in
plastic containers approx 4 x 4 x 10 inches tall, and held a 4"
plastic pot inside of it. The plants were basically anywhere from 8"
to over 30" in height already, and the lilly plants had crowns of the
size of baseballs with lots of vigourous growth. They had pickerel
rush, horsetails, alligator rush, canna lilly, gamecock iris, lizzard
tails, arrowhead, bog bean and a bunch of others, all were priced at
$4.97 and all lillys were $9.97. They all looked exceptionally well
and in great shape. No telling what they may look like in a week or
two, but these are some of the best looking plants I have ever seen
offered for aquatic use and at great prices for this area....Same size
and condition of a lilly would be $24.95 and up and any of the
marginals would run you $10 and up at most garden
centers............so I consider these a real deal.... They are much
bigger than those we picked up at the base exchange.

..Don't know if all Lowes carry this same display and assortment. Home
depot here still has the small barely growing stuffin the small
plastic boxes, and even their lillies that they get in in bulk that
are set in water tables are very small and cost twice as
much.........So we loaded up on a bunch, came home and counted my rat
hole money and probably will go back tomorrow and buy some more Iris
and Pickerel and Thalias......Iris were 30+ inches and full heavy
growth as was the pickerel and thalia plants........

A new and disturbing practice for some Lowes garden centers and responses. (I'd like some feedba McQualude Gardening 0 31-03-2004 05:46 PM
Shrubs... Lowes vs Nursery. Chris S. Gardening 16 17-08-2003 10:22 AM
Salt at Home Depot or Lowes? Bob Ponds 3 12-05-2003 12:45 AM
Cub Cadet at Lowes BRN Gardening 20 28-04-2003 08:44 PM
Lowes Gem R&V Childers Orchids 1 11-04-2003 02:44 AM