Old 22-04-2005, 03:57 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Your koi will grow to be over 24 inches long and 100 gallons per koi is not
enough. We visited an indoor koi pond, 15000 gallons this past weekend, and
it had 15 koi, or 1000 gallons per koi. The more fish/gallon, the more
filter, and I mean a lot more filter. RTB

Which means, in small pond translation if I may, if you get 10 tiny koi for
a 1,000 gallon pond, you should be selling or giving away a couple koi
every year for a few years. Keeping the prettiest for yourself of course.
;-)

I started out with 20 some koi at one point, now I'm down to 3 adults in
one pond and 5 in the other, which is going to drop to 4 soon, with a few
babies. I've chosen to sell a couple of my adult koi so I can watch more of
the babies grow up a bit before they too are cull and sold/given away.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 23-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Folks,

I am not a KOI person, but I do have ponds for my Goldfsih, and have done a
lot of reading where ponds are concerned and these books, especially the
Japanese oriented ones, always deal with KOI, and for years conventional
thought in these serious Pond book in which KOI are dealt with, has always
been to have 1,000 for the first KOI and 100 gallons for each additional
KOI. Since most individuals have filters and sometimes elaborate ones at
that, I have always felt this a little over kill, but here in my area where
people had adhered to this convential thoughts consistantly have KOI in
there ponds over 30 inches long and they consistantly dispose of any fish
that puts them over there stocking level.

Having done this for a number of years I have found that stocking levels are
dependent on water volume and water flow in conjunction with filtering
capability. So it all depends on how much you want to put into your
filtering system and pumping capability of you pond setup.

If you have a fairly good filtering system, either bought or a DIY, one
fish per 100 gallons would seem a good stocking level. Just remember that
if you have a pond with big fish in it and the power goes out it is always
the big fish that die first.

Just a plug for Goldfish, they should have about 25 gallons were fish, but
this can be lowered to 10 gallons per fish, depending on your filteration
system and its efficiency, but in any event just remember that stocking
levels are the bain of any ponder and cause almost more problems than any
one really wants to deal. Your pond is almost a closed environment in which
you are the care taker and it is your responsibility to keep it running
right and this includes stocking levels.

Tom L.L.
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
[...]

Taking koi and 3 goldfish inside for winter question Grandpa Ponds 7 22-10-2004 04:28 PM
Koi and Goldfish for SALE Julie Ponds 1 05-06-2003 07:32 PM
koi and goldfish for sale Julie Ponds (alternative) 0 05-06-2003 07:32 PM
Free Koi and Goldfish to Good DC Area Home Michael Whaley Ponds 4 18-03-2003 06:56 AM
Goldfish and Koi BenignVanilla Ponds 4 15-02-2003 12:39 AM