Old 29-03-2005, 02:12 PM
JB

Default Mallards in My Pond

We've recently had a pair of mallards take up residence in our 3,000 gallon
pond. It's been a nice novelty so far but I'm wondering what the long term
effects might be to the health of the pond, plants and fish. We've done
nothing to discourage them from staying and they're becoming accustomed to
our comings and goings.

Has anyone else had experience with ducks on their pond? Any recommendations
on whether or not we should allow them to stay or encourage them to go
elsewhere?

TIA

John

Old 29-03-2005, 03:13 PM
kathy

Hi John,

Ducks seem to produce duck poo in greater
amounts than what they seem to take in.
So hopefully you have a nice, big strong filter.

They will eat plants and some will eat
fish.

Watch your water quality and how your plants
and fish are faring.

I've had ducks visit my pond and they sure are
cute. The labradors though find it insulting to have
ducks on their pond and chase them off.

kathy :-)

Old 29-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Bob Koerber

JB wrote:

We've recently had a pair of mallards take up residence in our 3,000 gallon
pond. It's been a nice novelty so far but I'm wondering what the long term
effects might be to the health of the pond, plants and fish. We've done
nothing to discourage them from staying and they're becoming accustomed to
our comings and goings.

Has anyone else had experience with ducks on their pond? Any recommendations
on whether or not we should allow them to stay or encourage them to go
elsewhere?

TIA

John

They will also take any little puddle that forms around the pond during
a rain shower a create a big mess.

Bob

Old 29-03-2005, 08:34 PM
RichToyBox

You need to look in Google Groups at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...d16506813ddb86.

Ian tells all about ducks. You'll get a good laugh.
--
RichToyBox

. net...

Old 30-03-2005, 12:01 AM
kathy

Ian's answer about ducks is my
absolute favorite of all rec.ponds
answers. A true classic. :-)))

kathy

Old 31-03-2005, 07:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Has anyone else had experience with ducks on their pond? Any recommendations
on whether or not we should allow them to stay or encourage them to go
elsewhere?
John

Besides what others mentioned, they can bring strange strains of algae and
parasites to your pond. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 31-03-2005, 03:24 PM
~Roy~

I have one little lonely mallard drake on my pond. I just don;pt have
the heart to get rid of him. He is really no trouble. He was
originally part of a flock of ducks we had at one timek when we raised
poultry. HIs hens got graabbed by some predator when on their nest
sites, and all his male friends I was able to roundup and sell off,
but this little fellow, was always able to evade any method of
capture. He could easily fly off if he wanted to but he hangs around
with my goat herd now, and is part of the herd. Wherever the goats
are, the duck is close by. It may be that we hatched this young drake
mallard out here and thats why he does not fly off and leave......but
he sure looks pityfull with him settingopn the ponds bank looking so
forlorn without any other ducks to kep him company. He really does not
go into the pond all that much either, just an occasional swim,
usually when the goats come up for a drink, he goes for a swim, other
than that, he is in the brush and grass with the goats......
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:33:41 -0800, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

===Has anyone else had experience with ducks on their pond? Any recommendations
===on whether or not we should allow them to stay or encourage them to go
===elsewhere?
===John
===