Old 04-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Gareee©

Default I'm back too!

Hey guys.. spring is springing, and I figured it's time to re-sub to the
group again.

Our pond is in it's second year now, and the peace lilies are coming back
quite well.

The WH died off over winter, so we don;t have many plants in the pond at
all, and of course already have a nice deep shade of green.

I'm considering a second small pond filled with plants and pumping the water
up to it, and back, hoping to clear the green without using a uv filter.

Our pond is 14x14x1-3 feet deep, and our smaller soon to be biofilter pond
it just a kids round playpool a foot deep, and maybe 5 feet across.. we
painted one black with Krylon fusion paint last year, and that's worked out
VERY well. (the pools were a buck or so on clearance, and the can of paint
was $3 or so!)

Is there a good cheap online source for pumps, since I'll need 2? (and any
recommendations on GPH?)

Our pond is thriving despite our best efforts..

Our goldfish are all doing great, we probably have a dozen or so frogs, and
probably 300 or more tadpoles right now (but I think the goldfish will be
dining quite well for a while, and take care of that.)

We also have spotted newts in our pond as well! (We're again in Waynesville,
NC.. Western North Carolina about 3,000 feet.)

Local resources for pond plants is very limited, being in the boondocks. I
know peace lilies can be taken out of dirt, and anchored in rocks and grow
very well. Are there any other readily available plants with the same
properties? (Mainly I'll be needing them for the small pond biofilter.)

Good 2 be back!

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 04-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Reel McKoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message

Local resources for pond plants is very limited, being in the boondocks.

* I'm in the semi-boonies of TN. Check out Wal-Mart. They carry pond
plants and will refund your money if they die. I got some excellent plants
from them in the past few years, including hardly water lilies. Most are
only $4.88 each. You can't beat that.

know peace lilies can be taken out of dirt, and anchored in rocks and

grow
very well. Are there any other readily available plants with the same
properties? (Mainly I'll be needing them for the small pond biofilter.)

* What peace lily are you talking about? Spathiphyllums? If so those are
only hardly to zone 9 I believe. I keep them as houseplants in my sunroom.
They will do nicely in a pond all summer though. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 05-04-2005, 01:05 AM
RichToyBox

I will let someone else recommend a size of pump, but general rules of thumb
are 1/2 pond volume per hour to twice pond volume per hour, and based on
dimensions, that would be 1500 gallons per hour to 6000 gallons per hour.
The best prices I have seen for the pumps that I have looked for is
http://www.azponds.com/ I have both external sequence pumps, and internal
pondmaster and oase pumps. All have been very good.
--
RichToyBox

Old 05-04-2005, 02:39 AM
kathy

Hi Gareee!!!!!

kathy :-)

Old 05-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Gareee©

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

* What peace lily are you talking about? Spathiphyllums? If so those are
only hardly to zone 9 I believe. I keep them as houseplants in my sunroom.
They will do nicely in a pond all summer though. :-)

I'm not sure.. they are dark green, from walmart, and hve white flowers..
I'm pretty sure ous servived winter, and we are just east of cherokee.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:43 AM
Gareee©

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Gareee!!!!!

kathy :-)

Hey Kathy..did you ever get any cat whiskers? (I just used all my sees from
last year today.. )

Old 05-04-2005, 03:43 AM
Gareee©

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
I will let someone else recommend a size of pump, but general rules of
thumb are 1/2 pond volume per hour to twice pond volume per hour, and based
on dimensions, that would be 1500 gallons per hour to 6000 gallons per
hour. The best prices I have seen for the pumps that I have looked for is
http://www.azponds.com/ I have both external sequence pumps, and internal
pondmaster and oase pumps. All have been very good.

Thanks, Rich. I'll check them out...

Old 05-04-2005, 04:55 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Welcome back!!!!!

Don't forget watercress as a great filter plant for spring. Right in most
grocery store's produce aisles. ) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 05-04-2005, 02:21 PM
dkat

Can you tell me how you are supposed to use watercress as a filter? All it
has ever done for me is block up my mini stream. Is it supposed to float or
does it need contact with the surface? Is it supposed to be contained....

Old 05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Bonnie NJ

I anchor mine in a slotted basket, true after awhile it will jump the basket
but it will stay more or less achored. You can always snip it and add to a
salad or sandwich.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 06-04-2005, 01:48 AM
dkat

"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
I anchor mine in a slotted basket, true after awhile it will jump the

basket
but it will stay more or less achored. You can always snip it and add to

salad or sandwich.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Thanks. I will try that. DK

Old 06-04-2005, 02:47 AM
Sean Dinh

Check out the Max-Flo series from Laguna on AZPonds. I'll
get either the 1500 or the 2400.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:25 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Can you just drop that in the pond?

You can, if you don't have a skimmer or place it will plug up like Dkat
mentions. I tuck it under the rocks at the edge myself. In filters in can
be put in a grid that semi floats. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~