Old 10-04-2005, 05:13 PM
kathy

Default spring work done

Yesterday I snagged DH, left youngest son
on the sofa (ankle surgery), eldest son on
the guitar (big band event coming up) but
two out of three isn't bad!
One day in the spring I declare it is mother's
day and therefore it is time for MY projects!

We got the waterfall weeded and cleaned of stuff
that had collected there. Pulled out lilies, fertilized
them, moved jan's from the ice cream buckets to regular
black mesh baskets and built an island!

The island still needs work, a WHOLE bunch more plants
need to go in it. We build islands by stacking builder's
brick (well aged) in the pond and topping it with a black
planter that looks a bit like an oil filter.

Yesterday we put in creeping jenny and sweet potato vine
which will climb over something yet to be purchased.
I need a whole bunch more creeping jenny (does a great job
of growing over the edge and hiding the planter). Will put
some marginals in there too, would like more society garlic
if I can find it this year.

kathy :-)

www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 10-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Bonnie NJ

What size is your island. I've been thinking of trying one when the water
gets a little warmer.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 10-04-2005, 06:49 PM
kathy

Size is about 30" across and 6-7 inches deep.
The planters look like oil filters.
We stack on builder's brick and pavers to get
them to the right height.

kathy

Old 11-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Pics....where are the pics
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

ups.com...

Old 11-04-2005, 08:17 PM
kathy

Cameron wrote Pics...where are the pics

Right now in the bank account. DH and youngest son are
researching digital cameras. They are planning on climbing
a mountain this June (moment for mother/wife panic) and
are looking for a camera that does everything they want but
will not hurt too much if it goes hurtling off a cliff...

You can see the first island we built on this webpage
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html

The second one is between the original island and the falls.

kathy :-)

www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 11-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Lt. Kizhe Catson

kathy wrote:
[...]

Waking up the pond: it's a good feeling, isn't it? Got to mine this
weekend, doing the same sort of stuff: cleaning up dead leaves, setting
the emergents back up on blocks, starting up the waterfall (and finding
the obligatory one place where it leaks before it emptied too much of
the pond -- anyway a 10% water change is a *good* thing). Then sit back
in the sunroom in the April sunshine and enjoy the gurgle......

-- Kizhe

What was first done for the vehicle again is done for the home necromancer Ponds 0 25-12-2007 08:40 PM
What was first done for the vehicle again is done for the home Eeyore Ponds 0 25-12-2007 08:21 PM
What was first done for the vehicle again is done for the home Brent P Ponds 0 25-12-2007 05:55 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Seeds, can I plant now in South California, or it has to be done in the spring? Mark Edible Gardening 1 17-07-2006 11:07 PM