Old 11-04-2005, 05:21 AM
Dan

Default How to Make Fake Rocks

Can someone point me to a source to making fake rocks. I'd like to make some
small ones for hiding geocaches. Small - like the size of a grapefruit.

TIA....Dan

Old 11-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Snooze

"Dan" wrote in message
ink.net...
Can someone point me to a source to making fake rocks. I'd like to make
some small ones for hiding geocaches. Small - like the size of a
grapefruit.

TIA....Dan

Try these directions
Peter's Famous Fake Rock
a.. Description
a.. Actual identity of "Peter" is unknown
b.. Recipe was obtained from rec.ponds
c.. Hollow boulder rock approximately 15 inches high and 30 inches in
diameter
d.. Cured rock can be sanded, filed, or drilled

b.. Ingredients for a hollow boulder
a.. The boulder itself
a.. Portland cement
b.. Concrete dye, if desired
c.. 1/8-inch or 1/4-inch mesh hardware cloth
d.. 3/8-inch rebar
e.. Rebar tie wire
f.. Steel wool -- medium to 0000

b.. Temporary support during construction
a.. Foam packing pellets
b.. Large trash bag
c.. Cardboard
d.. Plywood

c.. Instructions
a.. Bend rebar to the shape of the base of the rock
b.. Tie ends of rebar together using the rebar tie wire
c.. Cut mesh screen, and tie the ends to the rebar
d.. Shape the screen to look like a rock
e.. Fill the large trash bag with the foam packing pellets
f.. Place the trash bag into the cavity, and pack tightly
g.. Cap hole with a sheet of cardboard
h.. Turn the "rock" over so that it is sitting on its base
i.. Place "rock" on a flat piece of plywood
j.. Unroll the steel wool into long strips
k.. If desired, add concrete dye to Portland cement mix
l.. Add water to sour cream consistancy
m.. Lay the steel wool strip into the cement, and saturate it
n.. Lay the saturated strips on the mesh screen until it is covered
o.. Thickness of one strip will be approxiately 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch
p.. The more you laminate and crisscross the strips, the thicker and
stronger the "rock" will be
q.. Keep the "rock" wet and covered in plastic until cured
(approximately one week)

Fake Rocks Carol Ponds 8 09-01-2004 10:03 PM
[IBC] Building fake rocks with hypertufa kevin bailey Bonsai 0 18-08-2003 08:34 PM
Building fake rocks with hypertufa Allen Bonsai 0 18-08-2003 05:12 PM
DIY Fake Rocks stricks760 Ponds 14 04-08-2003 11:44 AM
Fake rocks Randy Ponds 2 24-04-2003 07:56 PM