Old 30-07-2003, 04:32 AM
stricks760

Default DIY Fake Rocks

Hi -

Still pondering about my waterfall. (1) Anyone with experience making fake
rocks? I've got a book or two, is it as easy as they make it sound? (2)
I've read about chicken wire and concrete approach, and the expanding foam
approach. Any comments? (3) Doing ANYTHING involving chicken wire on top
of the liner sounds like trouble to me, comments? (4) All these concrete
fake rocks, same issues with alkalinity as concrete in the pond itself?

A ton of questions, but the fake rocks thing is sounding like a good option.
But a realistic option?

Thanks!

Old 30-07-2003, 06:32 AM
Mark T.

Try this:

http://pages.prodigy.net/airs/rocks/making.htm

Mark

Old 30-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

It's pretty easy. Make a bunch of test rocks first though because it is
something that takes practice. Check out all the concrete aquarium
backgrounds I made:

http://www.tiversa.com/concrete/

Sam

Old 30-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Sam Hopkins

The background was first made with styrofoam for the 3D shape and then
coated in concrete. Using a brush in a stipple motion made the texture.

What you cant see is the custom stand I made for it. The entire tank was
covered by the stand with the exception of the front glass. The background
wrapped around the sides. This gave it a great "zoo style" apperance.

Sam

Old 30-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Chad

I am playing around with the chicken wire and concrete approach. I
need something that can stand up to cold winters in addition to
adventurous kids in the summer. I am planning builing over liner and
will have to be carefull not to have any exposed chicken wire that can
puncture the liner. I recommend making a test rock before taking on
the project. I went home over lunch and took some pictures of my test
rock.

http://members.cox.net/bokowski/rock.html

I have two more sides to texture... and I have spent two evenings this
week to get it to what you see (5 hours or so -- less if I wouldn't
have added so much water to the concrete). btw, the finished texture
was created with aluminum foil.

As far as troubles in the water... the rock should be well sealed with
all the painting/finishing processes I need to do to get a realistic
looking rock. Most of my research comes from companies that produce
water features for wildlife... so I will take there word for now. Of
course, my feeder goldfish "that I can't get rid" of will be the ones
with it on the line.
Old 30-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Mark T.

Hi Sam,
Do you recommend fully submerging the rocks of the
type you make? What type of paint would you suggest
for that type of application? Will the concrete cause
problems with fish / plants over time?
Thank you,
Mark

.. .

Old 30-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Sam - you're a man of many talents! Those actually look real! I suppose
though - after digging your lake - you probably had a lot of stone to use as
"inpiration", huh? Really nice work!

Lee

Old 30-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Sam Hopkins

The rocks can be submerged. Like any concrete product they'll leach calcium
hydroxide for a while. I purchase concrete coloring but since concrete
stains you can use anything with color. For instance if you wanted a "blue"
rock you could dye it with food coloring. That's why people put sealers on
their walkways so that someone dropping a coke wont ruin your walkway. You
can't use normal paint because the concrete will make the paint peel over
time. Once the calcium hydroxide is leached out of the concrete it would
cause any problems. Calcium hydroxide is what raises the PH of water when
you place concrete into it. It's PH is about 12-13 and will quickly raise
the water's PH to that if there's not enough water to dilute it.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Sam Hopkins

Thanks Lee. I used to drive around on my motorcycle and take pictures of
cool rock formations and try to reproduce them at home. It's a fun hobby
when it's too hot to do anything else outside.

Sam

Old 30-07-2003, 10:33 PM
K30a

Sam wrote I used to drive around on my motorcycle and take pictures of
cool rock formations and try to reproduce them at home. It's a fun hobby
when it's too hot to do anything else outside.

Cool!
Just goes to show ponders are people of many and varied talents!

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/
Old 04-08-2003, 11:44 AM
RaddArt111

Hello all, New here and was happy to come apond others with my interest of rock
making. I must admit they all look so awesome. I wanted to share my easy way to
create a rock. Not manmade by girlmade! My base form is the same, plywood and
or crumbled newspapers to get my desired shape. I use the cans of expanding
form for filling up cracks! It's so easy to direct the spray and can be moved
around easily to the shape I envision. Then I just use cement to give it nooks
and crannies, then paint and seal. Easy street.
Rocks made easy, any shape or size and so light weight, even a girl can carry
it. Hope this helps!
Radd

How to Make Fake Rocks Dan Ponds 1 11-04-2005 06:55 AM
Fake Rocks Carol Ponds 8 09-01-2004 10:03 PM
[IBC] Building fake rocks with hypertufa kevin bailey Bonsai 0 18-08-2003 08:34 PM
Building fake rocks with hypertufa Allen Bonsai 0 18-08-2003 05:12 PM
Fake rocks Randy Ponds 2 24-04-2003 07:56 PM