Old 12-04-2005, 05:30 PM
mark Bannister

Default Gravity fed settiling tank

I'm confused!
I have changed my plumbing design too many times to count now.
Basics:
700 gallons - formal block pool
No-niche filter and bottom drain for pump intakes 2 1/2" pipe on both
Pump: 750 GPH

Original design would have pump drawing directly from these to lines,
but I've been looking at DIY vortex microstrainers
(http://livingjewels.com/DIY/vms/vms.htm) and have come up with a design
I think is terribly clever g. the pump would now be pulling from a
gravity feed, open tank instead of directly on the intake lines.

The questions a
-Can two 2.5" lines keep up with the 750 GPH pump (designed to be feed
by 1 3" line)??? Is there some rule of thumb for this?
-Will the no-niche skimmer still work properly just being gravity fed?

If no, then I wonder why I couldn't seal the settling tank and keep it
under pressure? It would definitely have to be more substantial
construction, but I can't see how it would effect how it works.

Mark B.
Old 16-04-2005, 06:12 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Highly recommended way to do it. See *My Filter* www.jjspond.us

The questions a
-Can two 2.5" lines keep up with the 750 GPH pump (designed to be feed
by 1 3" line)??? Is there some rule of thumb for this?

Yes. See http://ourkoipond.com/psafr.htm pipes and flow rate.

-Will the no-niche skimmer still work properly just being gravity fed?

Well.... now this might be questionable, gravity fed, no problem, but with
only a 750 gph pulling from both skimmer and bottom drain you probably
won't get as much skimming action as you hope. It will skim the fine things
like foam, pollen, dust, but big leaves will probably just sit around the
edge without getting sucked in. I say this as I'm pulling ~1400 gph and
though I get leaves in, others will sit on the rim for awhile. Supposedly
no-niche skimmers work best when 800 gph is pulled thru them. I know on the
Demon pond it works much better.... Gravity fed, bottom drain/skimmer
combo, pump running 1800 gph.

~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Gravity fed skimmer help Bill Stock Ponds (moderated) 5 13-08-2007 08:05 AM
Gravity fed skimmer - again! Bill Stock Ponds (moderated) 1 13-08-2007 08:04 AM
Gravity fed versus pump fed filters Iain Miller Ponds 11 24-08-2003 05:02 AM
Gravity Skimmer ciel Ponds 1 07-08-2003 01:22 AM
Gravity Filter, a definition? BenignVanilla Ponds 5 15-02-2003 12:39 AM