Old 24-04-2005, 07:13 PM
I.Sheldon

Default How to maintain old pond filter with no drains?

A couple of years ago I moved in to a UK house with a pond approx 16ft
x 10ft x 3ft, complete with no instructions.

The water flows from the pond via a side-pipe (a few inches from the
floor) in to the adjacent filter area, where it's pumped back to the
pond using an argonaut J75 0.5hp external pump (3000gph).

The problem I have is that a lot of books/sites I read seems to be
about ponds with bottom drains and easy filter drainage, and my pond
has neither.

The filter area is a large (semi-covered) rectangle and has two rows
of brushes, and some submerged material in bags before the brushes;
but it doesn't seem to clean the pond at all: it's always very murky
or green. I tried lots of floating plants last year and have also
tried water changes.

There are a few small koi and goldfish in the pond and they seem
healthy and have survived the last couple of years.

So, my question is, what's the best way to maintain this type of
filter and clean up the water?

Should I be replacing the bagged material and brushes? Buying
matting? (and presumably putting it so all water has to flow through
it?) Buy a proper pond vacuum and clean out the filter? Should I be
cleaning everything lots?

I can see lots of things I could try, but don't want to waste money.
Assume minimal diy skills!

Any info/sites would be useful since most of the information I see is
about the biotec style of filters.

My other question is about piping. The pump has a 1.5" outlet, but
the return pipe is 1.25", so the pump is wasting energy. I assume to
upgrade the pipework, I need to buy pressure piping and solvent weld
rather than just buying cheap push piping from the local diy shop?

Many thanks in advance,
Ian.
Old 25-04-2005, 12:46 AM
RichToyBox

I would really like to see your pond and filter arrangement to be able to
give better advise. The brushes are there to collect fine debris from the
water flowing through the filter box, or at least that is the use in multi
compartment vortex filters, and need to be cleaned periodically, by hose or
by moving vigorously up and down in a barrel of water. The intake would
probably be better if it had a retrofit bottom drain installed to keep the
bottom of the pond cleaner. The bottom of the pond, if it has more than
just a little debris, 1/2 inch or more, should be cleaned by vacuuming.
Complete water changes are detrimental. The filter bags probably have some
kind of media in them that is used as the bio part of the filter, and it
needs to be cleaned periodically with pond water to remove any debris, but
not kill the bacteria that do the filtering.
--
RichToyBox

"I.Sheldon" wrote in
message ...

Old 27-04-2005, 03:38 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Sheldon
[...]

I would clean the filter media and clean the muck off the bottom of the pond the best you can. If you don't want to vacuum it you can use a net to get out the big debris- and then a pool skimmer to lift out the finer stuff. The pool skimmer I mean is the one that people use to get leave off the surface of their pool. Works great on fine debris on the bottom of the pond. Next I would do a couple of water changes. 50% at a time (that's just how I like to do it). Each time I would use the skimmer to get what muck has settled from the last cleaning. Keep cleaning the filter media because you have unsettled the fine debris and now it is in your media. The stuff in the bags that you mentioned I am thinking must be the bio- media, the stuff good bacteria grows on. Clean this as well. Don't worry about killing the good bacteria- It will soon be overwhelmed if you don't , and the anaerobes will take over. Don't want that. This should take care of it. Hope it helps.