Old 02-05-2005, 03:06 AM
DD DDD

Default Pond Filter Pump Prefilter question...

I have a 1250 gph pump on the bottom of the small pond on a flat rock to
keep it 2 inches off the bottom. Anyways it then goes about 5 feet to a
(out of pond bio/mech filter) .. My question is: How do I keep from
having to clean the pump prefilter all the time? The outside filter is
so easy to clean. But the pump prefilter is a long job for me. Can I
take the pump prefilter off and get a 3 foot pvc pipe to fit it and
drill 1/8 0r 1/4 inch holes (about 200) in the pvc so I dont have to
clean the prefilter? I fiquired with 3 feet of pipe and 200 small holes
it would not jam with junk. Or is there another way? What good is a
prefilter if you have to clean it 2-3 times a week. I dont want to mess
up the impellor either though. Ok Im done. Thank you

Old 02-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Reel McKoi

"DD DDD" wrote in message
I have a 1250 gph pump on the bottom of the small pond on a flat rock to
keep it 2 inches off the bottom. Anyways it then goes about 5 feet to a
(out of pond bio/mech filter) .. My question is: How do I keep from
having to clean the pump prefilter all the time? The outside filter is
so easy to clean. But the pump prefilter is a long job for me. Can I
take the pump prefilter off and get a 3 foot pvc pipe to fit it and
drill 1/8 0r 1/4 inch holes (about 200) in the pvc so I dont have to
clean the prefilter? I fiquired with 3 feet of pipe and 200 small holes
it would not jam with junk. Or is there another way? What good is a
prefilter if you have to clean it 2-3 times a week. I dont want to mess
up the impellor either though. Ok Im done. Thank you

==========================='
All my pumps are in those black plastic pond plant baskets - two put
together like a clam shell and wired closed. They don't clog and I only
clean them maybe once over the summer - if that. Of course you cut a hole
for the outflow and electric cord. I set them at least 12" from the bottom.
Cheap and easy to make. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"To persevere in one's duty and

Old 02-05-2005, 02:59 PM
JamesG

I have started to use one of those black plastic pond baskets also. I
hadn't thought about putting them on top of each other like a clam
shell. I just put my pump in there along with some scouring pads and
plastic sponges and then covered them all with lava rocks. I was
figuring I might get some biological filtration in the pads, sponges,
and rocks. I also wanted to use all this to block big stuff from
getting to my pump. I will think about doing the clam thing next time
I work on the pond.

Thanks,
James

Old 02-05-2005, 04:10 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have started to use one of those black plastic pond baskets also. I
hadn't thought about putting them on top of each other like a clam
shell. I just put my pump in there along with some scouring pads and
plastic sponges and then covered them all with lava rocks. I was
figuring I might get some biological filtration in the pads, sponges,
and rocks. I also wanted to use all this to block big stuff from
getting to my pump. I will think about doing the clam thing next time
I work on the pond.
Thanks, James

Putting stuff in the basket isn't necessary, if you have a filter out of
the pond it is pumping to. In fact, it sort of defeats the purpose because
you will have to clean those eventually, and they cause more weight to
lifted out of the pond. Clam shelling the pump with no fillers and you
won't have to pull it up all season. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 04-05-2005, 02:07 AM
DD DDD

Ok Thanks everyone. I like the clam idea. And I thought the bio/mech
filter should do its job. I am looking for the flower basket type thing.
I am going to take out the prefilter, The put the clam on it. I think
that would be good. The punp does have 1/4 inch vertical openings but I
think maybe to much bad stuff might clog the inpellor. So I will try it.
Thanks