Old 04-05-2005, 07:48 PM
~Roy~

Default ATTN ........Jan...........................

Question on growing water lillys from seeds. How and when do you treat
the bloom to get the seeds. Do you wait for it to be over its blooming
period and rthen pull it off and allow to dry or what? Whata medium
are they started in? Would those self expanding swellup type peat pots
work to start lilly seeds in? Yep I know its easier to grow other
plants from root cuttings, but I have lots of spare time to kill and
like to learn different things. The lillys I want to reproduce are
planted in my ponds natural bottom and are of the miniature variety
and I really do not want to dig em up and divide.

Regards

Roy

Old 05-05-2005, 05:35 PM
~Roy~

I was not aware that I may not get an exact copy, so there goes those
plans to occupy my time. Guess its back to watching algae grow instead
of lilly seeds sprouting ;-)

Thanks

BTW is there any real deep dark red lillys of the hardy tuype? I have
three or 4 that I bought that were supposed to be really dark red, and
all have a sort of pink outer petals and some white......but the
center is red, but not overly deep dark red........

I have a few Charlies Choice lillys and those little lillys sure do
put everything they have into sending up new leaves and blooming. They
seem to be a good size for a typical half barrel setup, more leaves
than a Helvola (yellow) and they do a good job of covering up most of
the surface with leaves up to about 2 or 2 1/2" diam. They have been
just about non stop bloomng with new flowers continually. None of my
other miniataure types have started to send up blooms yet, but they
have made a lot of new leaves.....but all the regular lillys are doing
fine.......some year I may just get some tropicals, and see how they
do, as my ponds temp has been hanging around mid 70's now for some
time even though its cool at night, and not as warm as it usually is
this time of year during the day.

On Wed, 04 May 2005 19:42:27 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

===On Wed, 04 May 2005 18:48:24 GMT, (~Roy~) wrote:
===
===Question on growing water lillys from seeds. How and when do you treat
===the bloom to get the seeds. Do you wait for it to be over its blooming
===period and rthen pull it off and allow to dry or what? Whata medium
===are they started in? Would those self expanding swellup type peat pots
===work to start lilly seeds in? Yep I know its easier to grow other
===plants from root cuttings, but I have lots of spare time to kill and
===like to learn different things. The lillys I want to reproduce are
===planted in my ponds natural bottom and are of the miniature variety
===and I really do not want to dig em up and divide.
===
===You do realize that the seed may not be anything like the mother plant
===because the father plant is unknown? Saying that, I'm totally clueless
===about growing lilies from seed. I tried to do a lotus like that once, not
===only was it a big hassle to get it going it had the nerve to died the next
===year. Plus I'm just not that patient to wait a couple years for flowers.
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~