Old 12-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Cheryl

Default Tadpoles

Hi,

About a month ago I took some frogspawn out of my fish pond and took it into
my classroom at school for the kids to watch grow. I put it in a small glass
tank and the kids have really enjoyed caring for them.
However the tadpole have seemed to just stopped growing!
I can see clearly see thier eyes, mouth ect but no sign of any legs yet. I
have been giving them some flake fish food that we give the goldfish which
they seem to enjoy.

Any ideas how we can get them to grow! how long does it take?

Im sure last years taddies didnt take this long!

Many thank

Cheryl

Old 12-05-2005, 10:20 PM
axemanchris

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

About a month ago I took some frogspawn out of my fish pond and took it

into
my classroom at school for the kids to watch grow. I put it in a small

glass
tank and the kids have really enjoyed caring for them.
However the tadpole have seemed to just stopped growing!
I can see clearly see thier eyes, mouth ect but no sign of any legs yet. I
have been giving them some flake fish food that we give the goldfish which
they seem to enjoy.

Any ideas how we can get them to grow! how long does it take?

Im sure last years taddies didnt take this long!

Many thank

Cheryl

It depends on the type of the tadpole. Some of them dont' get legs until
their second year!

Jacqui

Old 12-05-2005, 10:23 PM
kathy

Hi Cheryl,

A couple of reasons:

- are they bullfrog tadpoles? They won't change
until next summer. Some greenfrogs also.

- is it colder in your room this year? Water temperature
is a factor.

- are they getting enough veggie? Too much protein isn't
good for them - what is in the goldfish flakes? spiruluna is
a good food for them or algae wafers. Or you can buy organic romaine
lettuce and freeze it, then feed it. Or good old pond scum.
Their mouths and 'teeth' are meant to scrape algae off surfaces.
When they change then their mouth and gut changes to
become protein eaters.

good luck and let us know what happens!
(I have a couple of articles archived under April 2005
about amphibians)

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 12-05-2005, 10:28 PM
kathy

P.S. ;-)

Checked your address (google doesn't show them
automatically) and see you are in the UK.

While bullfrogs and greenfrogs are not native to the
UK unfortunately bullfrogs have shown up thru import
and pet releases. So they still could be bullfrogs...
but probably not.

Bullfrogs don't like to start breeding until it gets
nice and warm out and as I recall one early summer
I spent over there, it isn't that warm this early!

Also you would have noticed their calls, which are
a 'run, run, run' very deep for a frog ;-)

kathy :-)

Old 13-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Derek Broughton

kathy wrote:

Also you would have noticed their calls, which are
a 'run, run, run' very deep for a frog ;-)

RUM, Kathy! RUM, not "run" :-)
--
derek

Old 13-05-2005, 02:17 PM
kathy

I know that's what all the books say. 'ruM'
but my bullfrogs never read the books,
I guess they are dyslexic which fits in
with our family ;-)

k :-)

Old 15-05-2005, 04:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I know that's what all the books say. 'ruM'
but my bullfrogs never read the books,
I guess they are dyslexic which fits in
with our family ;-)

k :-)

Between the boys and the dogs, yours probably were saying
run,run,run. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Do Shubunkin eat tadpoles? David W.E. Roberts Ponds 7 13-05-2003 06:08 PM
Do Shubunkin eat tadpoles? David W.E. Roberts Ponds (alternative) 11 13-05-2003 06:08 PM
Tadpoles, what to feed? K30a Ponds 2 06-05-2003 03:56 AM
Tadpoles eating my Water Lilys - Any suggestions? IKD Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Where the heck are the tadpoles? Sam Hopkins Ponds 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM