Old 15-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Gareee©

Default Do snakes eat frogs but NOT fish?

The pond is 3/4 or more drained now... we had counted about 15 or so LARGE
frogs a month ago, but I've seen none at all now. (After seeing the snake
with one in his mouth the other day), but it looks like all our fish are
present and accounted for!

It's getting dark here now, so it's hard to make sure of anything now, but
tomorrow morning, with the sunlight, I'm going to try to hunt the snake down
and remove him.

Only thing I'm concerned about overnight, is now that there is less water to
hide in, that the snakes will get the fish.

I'll report back tomorrow on results...

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 15-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Reel McKoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
The pond is 3/4 or more drained now... we had counted about 15 or so LARGE
frogs a month ago, but I've seen none at all now. (After seeing the snake
with one in his mouth the other day), but it looks like all our fish are
present and accounted for!

## That's good to hear! :-)

It's getting dark here now, so it's hard to make sure of anything now, but
tomorrow morning, with the sunlight, I'm going to try to hunt the snake

down
and remove him.

## They like to hide in heavy vegetation and rocky areas.

Only thing I'm concerned about overnight, is now that there is less water

hide in, that the snakes will get the fish.

I'll report back tomorrow on results...

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 15-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Elaine T

Gareee© wrote:
The pond is 3/4 or more drained now... we had counted about 15 or so LARGE
frogs a month ago, but I've seen none at all now. (After seeing the snake
with one in his mouth the other day), but it looks like all our fish are
present and accounted for!

It's getting dark here now, so it's hard to make sure of anything now, but
tomorrow morning, with the sunlight, I'm going to try to hunt the snake down
and remove him.

Only thing I'm concerned about overnight, is now that there is less water to
hide in, that the snakes will get the fish.

I'll report back tomorrow on results...

That's great news about your fish. I wonder if you would have any luck
using a commercial snake trap? Snake Guard
http://www.snakeguard.com/index.html makes one that's humane.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 15-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Peter Breed

I may be stating the obvious but frogs are amphibians - I don't about
the frogs in your area, but in Britain the common frogs spend a large
part of their life cycle on land spending their days in cooler dark damp
places and eating creepy crawlies at night. The only time they need
pools of water are to breed and in their juvenile form (ie tadpoles),
your frogs may well have left of their own accord.
Peter

Old 15-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Gareee©

"Peter Breed" wrote in message
I may be stating the obvious but frogs are amphibians - I don't about the
frogs in your area, but in Britain the common frogs spend a large part of
their life cycle on land spending their days in cooler dark damp places and
eating creepy crawlies at night. The only time they need pools of water are
to breed and in their juvenile form (ie tadpoles), your frogs may well have
left of their own accord.

That could be good info...they may have left because of the predators
around....

And there's still lots of tads in the pond....

Old 15-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Derek Broughton

Gareee© wrote:

The pond is 3/4 or more drained now... we had counted about 15 or so LARGE
frogs a month ago, but I've seen none at all now. (After seeing the snake
with one in his mouth the other day), but it looks like all our fish are
present and accounted for!

Most frogs don't spend a lot of time in water, except during mating season.
Leopard frogs spend so little time in water they're called "Meadow frogs"
in many places.

However, while snakes will eat frogs _and_ fish, they're more likely to go
for frogs when they're available. It's easier for the snake to catch food
on land, and frogs are apt to spend a lot of time immobile, allowing a
snakes to sneak up on them.
--
derek
Old 15-05-2005, 03:52 PM
kathy

Yup, depending on the frog.
Bullfrogs and Pig frogs are the most aquatic
of frogs. They like to hang out in water but
will also hunt on land. Ours used to stake out
the area underneath the birdfeeder at night
and snarf up the mice that came to eat
fallen seeds.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 15-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Reel McKoi

Elaine T wrote:

That's great news about your fish. I wonder if you would have any luck
using a commercial snake trap? Snake Guard
http://www.snakeguard.com/index.html makes one that's humane.

All the man has to do is buy a mongoose. It will tear the snake up to
small bits. Problem is Mongoose will go after your fish.
so now you must supply at least one snake a day to your pond.
CR....
All the JWs wish for is walking around the COUNTRYSIDE (never any towns
pictured in the WT rags) smiling like the village idiot and carrying
baskets of veggies and fruit with them. Also note they all live in suit
pants and dress shirts. The women live in housedresses of 1952
vintage.....
and they call that paradise? Any normal human being would rapidly be bored
to death looking at trees, grass, each other's ever smiling faces and
eating
a vegetarian diet.
They'd soon be longing for a good book, a movie, a Mall or a steak
dinner..... (Carol)

Old 15-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Reel McKoi

Another forged header:

Old 16-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Greg Cooper

kathy wrote:

Yup, depending on the frog.
Bullfrogs and Pig frogs are the most aquatic
of frogs. They like to hang out in water but
will also hunt on land. Ours used to stake out
the area underneath the birdfeeder at night
and snarf up the mice that came to eat
fallen seeds.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Snarf up mice!
Just how big _are_ these frogs? That kinda puts these Bull frogs in
perspective for me.

Old 16-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Derek Broughton

Greg Cooper wrote:

kathy wrote:

Yup, depending on the frog.
Bullfrogs and Pig frogs are the most aquatic
of frogs. They like to hang out in water but
will also hunt on land. Ours used to stake out
the area underneath the birdfeeder at night
and snarf up the mice that came to eat
fallen seeds.

Snarf up mice!
Just how big _are_ these frogs? That kinda puts these Bull frogs in
perspective for me.

I never heard of Pig frogs, but bullfrogs can get to be 12". They'll eat
(and sometimes choke to death on) anything they can stuff in their mouths.
--
derek
Old 16-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Reel McKoi

"Greg Cooper" wrote in message
Snarf up mice!
Just how big _are_ these frogs? That kinda puts these Bull frogs in
perspective for me.

=======================
Bullfrogs get L-A-R-G-E! They can cram down a 6 to 7" koi easily. My
husband and I were on the porch enjoying watching several goldfinches
bathing in a pond connected bird-bath. Suddenly and out of seemingly
nowhere a huge frog grabbed one of the birds and jumped into the pond (pre
netting days). I got rid of this bird bath and replaced it with one on a
pedestal.

The frog was probably hidden under the Hostas.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 16-05-2005, 05:30 PM
kathy

Pig Frogs and Bullfrogs are kissing cousins,
they look a lot alike but Pig Frogs sound like,
well, pigs. Apparently they are even more aquatic
loving than Bullfrogs. They are native to the
extreme south of the USA and all of Florida, what can we
say, if it is strange, odd, unusual, it belongs in
Florida ;-)

k :-)

Old 16-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Derek Broughton

kathy wrote:

Pig Frogs and Bullfrogs are kissing cousins,
they look a lot alike but Pig Frogs sound like,
well, pigs.

And, I take it, they don't have any interest in rum...
--
derek
Old 16-05-2005, 08:34 PM
kathy

derek wrote:

And, I take it, they don't have any interest in rum...

No, no interest in rum, in fact they
call: "sWINE, sWINE, sWINE"

k :-)