Old 18-05-2005, 05:17 PM
kathy

Default mystery in lotus tub, squirrel??

Well, it serves me right for bragging about
keeping jan's lotus alive (my number five try
with lotus!).

I went out on the deck this morning.
The lotus tub is right there between the kitchen
window and the lotus.

The tuber had been snapped in half! This little
decorative clay house had been knocked over and
the three little goldfish in there were gone!

Checked the main pond and the bog. No sign of any
predator. Fish in the main pond came right on over
to visit with Heidi while she drank from the side.
Then waited around for their snack.

The only critter I've seen near the lotus tub has
been the squirrel. He comes over, gets a drink and
hangs out in the shade.

I've done a google search and no where can I find
any report of a squirrel bothering fish. I can
imagine him fussing with the lotus but not the fish.

Any of you with squirrels have any insight?
Hard to imagine a heron on the deck but stranger
things have happened.

kathy :-)

Old 18-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Reel McKoi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've done a google search and no where can I find
any report of a squirrel bothering fish. I can
imagine him fussing with the lotus but not the fish.

## We were overrun at one time with squirrels here and none ever bothered
fish. They would drink from the ponds and leave. They did destroy all the
peaches and plums.

Any of you with squirrels have any insight?
Hard to imagine a heron on the deck but stranger
things have happened.

## A large heavy bullfrog can do away with fish and break plants.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"Please check people's headers for forgeries

Old 19-05-2005, 09:46 PM
axemanchris

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That has raccoon written all over it.

Jacqui

Old 20-05-2005, 12:35 AM
kathy

Anyone with raccoon experience as I haven't had any...
to get to the lotus tub the raccoon would have gone past
the bog which is shallow and stuffed with plants and
snails and tadpoles (and had no damage which made
me think it was not a raccoon), go up a long flight of stairs
then somehow jump or climb up to a platform table that has
no walking room on it, and walk along a railing.
Can they do that sort of obstacle course?

Today there was no damage or any indication that anyone
had been in the yard.

k :-)