Old 22-05-2005, 04:42 AM
DD DDD

Default Feeding live worms to fish.turtles in pond

I feed my fish/turtles live redworms sometimes. The problem is I have
pond rock in my 300 gallon preform. The worms go the the bottom and
crawl inbetween the rocks so quick that that dont get eaten. Do they
just die in the rocks or do the come up sometimes? This bothers me cause
the turtles that I hand feed sometimes seem to be starving. They just
cant find the food. Also floating pellet food and sticks rarely get
eaten by the catfish or african frogs. They did when I had them in a
aquarium. Any better way to feed these creatures? Any help would be
great. I turn off the pump when I feed them to keep the water quiet. If
I dont they never eat

Old 22-05-2005, 05:33 AM
kathy

I built an island in my pond that the turtles
can climb up on. I toss their food on the island.
I also toss land snails and slugs that I find in the yard on the
island. I stock the pond with water
hyacinths (in season) and they are free to
nosh on the other plants. Mother Nature provides
the worms, insect larvae, aquatic snails.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 22-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Reel McKoi

"DD DDD" wrote in message
I feed my fish/turtles live redworms sometimes. The problem is I have
pond rock in my 300 gallon preform. The worms go the the bottom and
crawl inbetween the rocks so quick that that dont get eaten. Do they
just die in the rocks or do the come up sometimes? This bothers me cause
the turtles that I hand feed sometimes seem to be starving.

$$ I hope you've inquired into what the type of turtles you have eat as a
normal diet. It would be cruel for them to starve to death. There also
needs to be a way for them to get out of the pond to dry and sun themselves.
I'm assuming they're not mudturtles.

They just
cant find the food. Also floating pellet food and sticks rarely get
eaten by the catfish or african frogs. They did when I had them in a
aquarium. Any better way to feed these creatures?

$$ You may consider removing the rocks from the bottom of your little pond.
If a bare pond turns you off try using one layer of a finer gravel. They
should find the food easier that way.

Any help would be
great. I turn off the pump when I feed them to keep the water quiet. If
I dont they never eat

$$ Something isn't quite right with your setup. You can also try feeding
the turtles on the land area beside the pond.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 22-05-2005, 03:35 PM
DD DDD

Hi, Thank you. I have a basking rock. But I am going to go get some tiny
gravel from the pond shop today. The fun part will be taking all the
pond rock out. LOL...oh boy... I hand feed them now but I cant be there
every minute. So the finer gravel Idea will work ,,...Thanks

Old 22-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Reel Mckoi

DD DDD wrote:
I feed my fish/turtles live redworms sometimes. The problem is I have
pond rock in my 300 gallon preform. The worms go the the bottom and
crawl inbetween the rocks so quick that that dont get eaten. Do they
just die in the rocks or do the come up sometimes? This bothers me cause
the turtles that I hand feed sometimes seem to be starving. They just
cant find the food. Also floating pellet food and sticks rarely get
eaten by the catfish or african frogs. They did when I had them in a
aquarium. Any better way to feed these creatures? Any help would be
great. I turn off the pump when I feed them to keep the water quiet. If
I dont they never eat

Listen very carfully I am going to say this once. Put on your scuba
gear, dive down to the bottom of the pond, and take the rocks out.

All creature will eat when hungry, and the best food is Hippo dung. It
is so healthy that the fish eat right out of the Hippo rear end.
If I get the chance to go to Africa I will do the same. If Hippo Dung
is good for me. It is good for my fish.