Old 22-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Elaine T

Default Stalled iris - help, please

I bought two baby Japanese Iris (Iris ensata) plants at Home Depot and
planted one in the pond over a month ago. The other looked iffy, so I
kept it in its nursery container of aquatic soil outside of the pond to
see if it wouldn't grow some. The one I planted had a couple of healthy
shoots, but has only added a leaf or two and now seems to have stopped
growing. Same with the one sitting next to the pond. The lily and
pickerel weed I bought and planted at the same time are growing very well.

The Iris in the pond is in a 2 gallon pot in Schultz aquatic soil and
fertilized with a lily tablet. It gets about 8 hours of direct sun
daily. It was about 7" deep and only grew a bit. I moved it up to
about 2-3" deep a week ago and it's still doing nothing. Not dying -
just stalled. Water temps are 70-75F now.

What else does this plant want from me?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 22-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Gill Passman

"Elaine T" wrote in message
[...]

I've had a mix of irises in a bog garden for around 3 years. The first year
I saw very little growth. Last year there was a big improvement in their
growth until the dog decided that the bog garden was the coolest place to
sleep last summer.

This year the growth is fantastic. Partly down to the fact that this is now
my favourite dumping ground for "tank water" but this increased growth was
already there before I started doing this.

Other ventures into Iris growing (of the non-aquatic variety and aquatic)
also seem to bear this out and that it is time that is needed more than
anything else.

Gill

Old 22-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Gareee©

"Elaine T" wrote in message

What else does this plant want from me?

Are you sure it's not Seymour? Have you tried feeding it blood, or body
parts??

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 22-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Klassik Koi

Elaine,

I had to NYM shift again using a remailer, because nobdy was reading my
replies, and everyone put me in their Kill file.

Me Carol, the greatest ponder of world. That being said, You are dumb
blonde, you effortd at geting a degree in bioinfomatic just went the
down the out house of ponderland.

To get a replacement for a light bulb, you go to Home Depot. Getting a
plant a HD is like buying a hamster in walmart, they are full of dieases
and they are going to die in 2 years of less. And what up with buying
out of country plants? Buy american always.

You need to go to Wally World.

Old 22-05-2005, 06:01 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Iris don't like to be disturbed. So this is normal behavior, all it
requires is patience, it will start growing again in a month or 2. ~ jan

On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:21:15 GMT, Elaine T wrote:

I bought two baby Japanese Iris (Iris ensata) plants at Home Depot and
planted one in the pond over a month ago. The other looked iffy, so I
kept it in its nursery container of aquatic soil outside of the pond to
see if it wouldn't grow some. The one I planted had a couple of healthy
shoots, but has only added a leaf or two and now seems to have stopped
growing. Same with the one sitting next to the pond. The lily and
pickerel weed I bought and planted at the same time are growing very well.

The Iris in the pond is in a 2 gallon pot in Schultz aquatic soil and
fertilized with a lily tablet. It gets about 8 hours of direct sun
daily. It was about 7" deep and only grew a bit. I moved it up to
about 2-3" deep a week ago and it's still doing nothing. Not dying -
just stalled. Water temps are 70-75F now.

What else does this plant want from me?

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~