Old 23-05-2005, 08:36 PM
SkyCatcher

Default removal of duckweed

can anyone recommend a way to get rid of duckweed.

would it be useful to use a surface skimmer?

thanks

sky

Old 23-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Cracklin'

"SkyCatcher" wrote in message
can anyone recommend a way to get rid of duckweed.

would it be useful to use a surface skimmer?

=============================
I would think it would rapidly fill a skimmer. You can use a leaf net to
scoop it out. I have the type goldfish and koi eat so it never gets out of
control.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
EVERYONE: ""Please check people's headers for forgeries

Old 23-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Gareee©

Sigh... some one has to....

Just toss in some Quackers......

Old 23-05-2005, 11:57 PM
RichToyBox

A surface skimmer will work, or just use the hose, over fill the pond and
use the hose as a broom to sweep it over the edge.
--
RichToyBox

Old 24-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Yorkshire Pudding

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:57:08 -0400, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

A surface skimmer will work, or just use the hose, over fill the pond and
use the hose as a broom to sweep it over the edge.

I really wish I could do that, unfortunately I also have Sticklebacks
in the pond Grrrrrrrrrr, Oh the perils of pondlife!!!

Howard
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/otters/Fish.htm

I will post some pond pictures soon, I promise.

Old 24-05-2005, 12:30 AM
~Roy~

On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:36:09 +0100, "SkyCatcher"
wrote:

===can anyone recommend a way to get rid of duckweed.
===
===would it be useful to use a surface skimmer?
===
===thanks
===
===sky
===

I also wish there was a simple quick way to get rid of duck weed. I
have a pond of 1+ acre in size and all it took was a couple unseen
pieces of duckweed that got by us when we put plants in the pond and
its been a chore ever since.........I guess I have too much other
good stuff for my koi and GF to eat as they do not seem to bother
it.......I use a pool type leaf/skimmer net to skim it off the water,
and can easily fill a few 5 gal buckets every month or so, but at
least it stays mixed in and around the marginals and shoreline, so its
not really all that obtrusive.

Old 24-05-2005, 02:13 AM
~Roy~

And Reel McKoi uttered some more stupid facts

===" I have the type goldfish and koi eat ..."

Duh, don;t everyone know, its that super duper special duckweek that
she and her husband grows on the back 40 acres.........its really not
duck week but that is what they tell everyone that asks about
it.......Her fish are just as messed up as she is.

Old 24-05-2005, 02:45 AM
Reel McKoi

"Courageous" wrote in message

I have the type goldfish and koi eat ...

What kind (of duckweed) is that?

------------------------------------
It's the light green one with smooth edges and 2 tiny leaves. I am clueless
as to what it's name is. It grows rapidly in warm weather and lives over
the winter. There is a rough edged, two leafed, more red type of duckweed
that fish don't eat.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 24-05-2005, 02:52 AM
Reel McKoi

.. .

SkyCatcher wrote:
can anyone recommend a way to get rid of duckweed.

would it be useful to use a surface skimmer?

thanks

sky

=========================
Mine came FREE as a rider in some pond plants from somewhere.... :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 24-05-2005, 03:17 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

I have the type goldfish and koi eat ...

What kind (of duckweed) is that?
C//

Well.... there's true duckweed that is a small shiny smooth leafed floating
plant that goldfish and Koi love. Then there is Azolla or Fairy Moss that
some people call duckweed by mistake. Similar shape, but dark green (and
can also be bright red) and fuzzy. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 24-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Reel McKoi

"Courageous" wrote in message

Well.... there's true duckweed that is a small shiny smooth leafed

floating
plant that goldfish and Koi love.

Um:

http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/duckweed.htm

This website will tell you why I asked /which/ duckweed.

Although I can appreciate that perhaps rec.ponds'ers maybe
aren't as knowledgeable about duckweed as all that. You'd
practically have to be a botanist.

C//

That's why I hesitated to try and name the one I have. I grow it in several
large tubs for the fish. Just toss in some soil and cheapo fertilizer and
start harvesting. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...

Old 25-05-2005, 02:04 AM