Old 26-05-2005, 04:48 AM
Paul

Default Alkalinity

How do I raise the alkalinity content in my pond water, its low.

Old 26-05-2005, 06:30 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Wed, 25 May 2005 23:48:19 -0400, "Paul" wrote:

How do I raise the alkalinity content in my pond water, its low.

Baking Soda. 1 cup/1,000 gallons and re-measure. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 26-05-2005, 09:42 PM
George

"Paul" wrote in message
How do I raise the alkalinity content in my pond water, its low.

What is the measurement you are getting and how are you measuring it?

Old 27-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Paul" wrote in message
How do I raise the alkalinity content in my pond water, its low.

===========================
If you have natural LIMESTONE in your area you can use that - but it doesn't
work as fast as Baking Soda. Care must be used with Baking Soda as it can
raise the PH quicker than the fish can adjust. Limestone will help keep the
PH from dropping again and it lasts just about forever.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 27-05-2005, 04:49 AM
Paul

Using the test strips.

Old 27-05-2005, 05:58 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:49:53 -0400, "Paul" wrote:

Do i dissolve it in a bucket of pond water then put it in? Thanks

Yes, but what are your test strips reading? And are they fairly new? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 27-05-2005, 06:11 AM
George

"Paul" wrote in message
Using the test strips.

"Paul" wrote in message
How do I raise the alkalinity content in my pond water, its low.

What is the measurement you are getting and how are you measuring it?

What was the measurement that you got?

Old 28-05-2005, 03:04 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:55:40 -0400, "Paul" wrote:

Yes, saying i'm low...........

No number, just a color? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 29-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Paul

Yes, just a color comparison. After looking more closely, there are numbers
to go by. I would say I'm around 40-ppm Alkalinity. Should be at 120ppms
?????///

Old 29-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Paul

Around 40-ppms........Thanks
"George" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
Using the test strips.

Old 29-05-2005, 08:33 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:51:03 -0400, "Paul" wrote:

Around 40-ppms........Thanks

I'd want to raise that too. ) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 30-05-2005, 09:12 PM
George

"Paul" wrote in message
news
Around 40-ppms........Thanks

That is a little low, but not dangerlously so. If it were me, I'd just add
some limestone rocks to the pond and leave it at that. I have a limestone
waterfall, and my general hardness stays right at 80 mg/L, which is normal
for freshwater ponds.

"George" wrote in message
> [...]

"Paul" wrote in message
Using the test strips.

Old 30-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
news
Around 40-ppms........Thanks

That is a little low, but not dangerlously so. If it were me, I'd just

add
some limestone rocks to the pond and leave it at that. I have a limestone
waterfall, and my general hardness stays right at 80 mg/L, which is normal
for freshwater ponds.

And they're totally safe. They raise it slowly and gradually - no shock to
the fish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.