Old 27-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Whats destroying my Water Hawthorn & new lily ?

I've recently built a new pond, and started introducing various plants. A healthy water hawthorn plant was introduced about 6 weeks ago, and started sending up new shoots quite quickly. Patches then started appearing on the floating leaves - the leaf tissue appears to be being grazed off, leaving just the leaf skeleton. All the leaves have now practically disappeared leaving just the stalks and the flower stems.
My first lily leaf emerged last week and that appears to be suffering the same fate.
I have no fish or snails in the pond (that I'm aware of!) just tadpoles. There are no apparent signs of insects on the underside of the leaves etc.
Can anyone tell me what is causing this damage, and how do I stop it ????
Many Thanks
Old 27-05-2005, 10:43 PM
kathy

Noting you are from the UK, across
the pond.

What I'd do is brew up some coffee tonight
and head out to the pond well after dark
with a flashlight. If you are not seeing anybody
chowing down on the plants during the
day, chances are they are out there in the
dark hours.

If you can catch one, bring it into the house in
a jar full of pond water and some plant matter.
Then you can cruise the internet and see if you
can ID the fellow.

Around here you can call the Master Gardeners
or the University Extension office and ask them for
help. I'm betting in the UK, the land of lush gardens
you'll have some resources like that.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com